Saturday, January 4, 2020

Preparing the Garden

This week, I gleefully finished Lepidoptera (but the photo will have to wait.  That requires daylight, cooperative quilt holders, and warmer temperatures!).  After such a splendid finish, I had a difficult time settling to work for the new year.  I have ideas, but the rhythm of them may take a few months to develop.

I will be making a full-sized Garden Party (pattern by Bonnie Hunter).  I have plenty of scraps to sort for the posies, but I have plans to use some delicious hand dyes by Vicki Welsh (shades!) for the chains.  The strip sets are cut, sewn, and pressed, so I think I’ll cut them today.


One of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge plans for this year is to use the remaining metallic ombré strips from Lepidoptera in wonky log cabins.  The sizes are all over the place, so a “regular” block won’t work.  I just hope I can translate my mental image accurately to fabric!

I’m still sewing together Garden Mosaic blocks for a baby quilt, so I don’t think I’ll do anything with new ones until I’m more settled.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to visit all the other bloggers.  I suspect inspiration will be everywhere this week!

10 comments:

Mari said...

Oooh, Garden Party is a great RSC choice. It will be nice to break down all those pieces. And wonky log cabins sound interesting, too. Have fun with those, and happy 2020!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice start on Light/Bright GREEN for RSC20, Katie!! Best of luck with solidifying your plans for the year. Whatever you decide, I'm sure the results will be spectacular!

Julierose said...

Sounds like wonderful choices--will be following your progress....hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Can't wait to see Lepidoptera all finished up, Katie! Great idea for the leftover pieces, too.

maggie fellow said...

I made the top for garden party last year and really enjoyed the piecing. It isn't finished yet though.

Susie H said...

Great projects to kick off a new RSC2020 year. Fabulous!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thanks for letting us into your sewing room! I always love to see what people are planning and working on. Your projects sound amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing Lepidoptera when the weather cooperates.

gayle said...

Looking forward to the Lepidoptera reveal!
Enjoy Garden Party - it's a fun quilt!

Kate said...

It's always nice to start the year with a finish. Looking forward to seeing your butterflies all finished up. Sounds like you've got a rough plan for now. Happy stitching this year, hopefully all the odds and ends get sorted out soon.

Deb A said...

Wonky log cabins are fun and forgiving! Cant wait to see them.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...