Saturday, August 29, 2020

Change in Plans

I had things to do this week, if you know what I mean.  I had quilting goals, garden goals, school goals, canning coals, and so on.

Then, Monday, a woman decided she could beat oncoming traffic to turn left, and instead hit my sister’s van full of kids before bouncing off to hit two more cars.  My sister had surgery Thursday for a broken distal radius (elbow) and ulna.  She has a few metal plates in her arm now, and my kids and I and my mom hustled to Colorado to help with cooking, cleaning, kid-tending (all her kids are okay minus seatbelt rash and mental trauma).  We have 11 kids and 4 adults in one house.  (And I’m grateful we’ve behaved ourselves so that we aren’t concerned about Covid.  I’ve only been to the dentist and the doctor in the last two weeks).  So, I didn’t sew what I intended.

I finished a sling pad, my mini swap (hey, partner, I’ll get it mailed next week), and quilting my niece’s quilt.  I have 1 1/2 sides done, and I need to finish the last 2 1/2 sides.  So my sewing looks like this today...

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Mari said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad your sister will be okay and that the children weren't hurt! Try to stay sane while taking care of everyone, and remember to take care of yourself, too. :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so glad your sister wasn't hurt more than she was! and the kids I hope they will be ok - that is scary to go through - you are lucky you all have been careful of covid so you can go help

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, my goodness!! I can totally see how sewing took a backseat this week. Wishing your sister a speedy recovery, Katie.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Katie, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. It's good to know she'll be okay, but of course the trauma from an accident like that is more than just physical, especially for the kids. Glad you could drop everything and come help her - your sewing will still be there when you get back! Thinking of you all!

maggie fellow said...

oh my - family is so important

Deb A said...

Oh My Goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your sisters accident and injury. So happy the kids were not seriously hurt but that mental trauma is sometimes worse. So glad you were able to head over and help out. Sending some healing prayers for all of you.

Jenny said...

What a thing to happen, how scary. Do hope your sister has a quick recovery and its wonderful that you were there in a flash to help out in her household.

grammajudyb said...

Hope your sister is healing well! What an scary thing! For all of you! So glad you and your kids and mom were able to help out! That’s what families do! Your swap partner will understand!
((Hugs to all))

Kate said...

Glad you sister is mostly OK and that the kids weren't hurt badly. How scary! Hope this week is calmer and you can get in a good bit of stitching time. Sounds like you need the sanity time.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Oh wow, that was a sudden change! While it was a serious accident, I am glad the kids didn't get hurt, and that your sister is on the mend. I hope your sister recovers quickly and completely. I am glad you are able to help her through this.

Susie H said...

One thing about life: You need to be flexible! Wow! What an upheaval to your plans but that's what family is all about. We do what we can do and know that they'd be there for us too. Funny (but not the haha! kind) but my SIL lives in Loveland CO and the same thing happened to her ... only she was walking in the crosswalk and the guy decided to take a left and swipe her out. She was so bruised up both bodily and mentally after that. It will take a while for all of your family to get over this ordeal. But 11 kids & 4 adults ... Thanksgiving dinners early! And plenty to be thankful for as it could have been a lot worse. ((hugs))

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...