Saturday, September 12, 2020

Out of Sorts

I apologize that my blog has become something of a dull place to be.  I find myself anxious, grumpy, and out of sorts.  Humorous turns of phrase seem to escape me when I am in the doldrums.

This week brought a challenge in sewing: repairing my first quilt.  I spent roughly an hour every day repairing broken seams.  I knew nothing about seam allowance, quilting, fabrics, bias, tension, or anything else important to a quilt!  In its original iteration, I left the on point quilt without setting triangles, making it an absolute disaster to match up to a backing, sew together and turn right side out.  Every year for roughly 20 years, my sister has brought the quilt back for repairs.  This year, we decided to rip off the backing and old batting, repair the top, add setting triangles, and now I’m going to quilt the seams closely.  Wish me luck!

In between the seams of the setting triangles, I made all but the very last block for the Garden Party Quilt.  I am ridiculously excited to lay out the blocks and see if my setting plans work.  BJ is going to make the process of organizing the blocks more complicated than I would prefer, but I’ll ask the big girls to watch him.

So there’s a little red for my sewing this week.  I hope you and yours are safe from fire, hurricane, and the pandemic, or, if not, that you have peace.

I’m linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week, and I made it though most of the links last week, so I hope to visit them all this week.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Deb A said...

Sorry you are having a stressful time. It must be very challenging with all the end of summer tasks with gardening clean up and then adding home schooling to the mix with littles running around. Big hugs to you. I hope you are able to get a little time each day just for you - it helps a lot to your mental health I found.
Sounds like you have a mini project helper with design - he may become really good at it as he gets older =) Wishing you are peaceful week.
Oh - I'm afraid to even think of some of my first quilts!

Mari said...

Anxious, grumpy, out of sorts-- I'm right there with you! It's a challenging time right now. Thank goodness we have a few stitching projects to distract us. Sending virtual hugs and good wishes for fixing up that first quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't imagine choosing to take a completed quilt apart, Katie. Your sister must really LOVE that quilt! Only ONE more Garden Party block to make? Congratulations!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I feel grumpy and anxious much of the time, too - you're not alone, Katie! That was quite a project to take apart your first quilt and re-do it like that. Looks like you're on the right track now, though!

grammajudyb said...

Wishing you a better week coming up! We all have days or maybe even weeks when we are not our best selves! Be kind to yourself! Best of luck with your repairs! It will be rewarding!

Jenny said...

That's a big job you are taking on, repairing that early quilt! I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, and you will be so pleased to get it done and hand it back.
No wonder you are feeling upset and grumpy there is so much going on during these trying times.

gayle said...

Grumpy and anxious strikes a chord with most of us these days. It has been a tiring year...

Vicki W said...

I had to turn off the TV and stop reading the news every day. That helped my mood tremendously! Now having to remake my first quilt would make me really crabby! Fortunately I made it for myself so I can continue to use it for furniture moving or other chores.

Susie H said...

There's a lot of negativity going on right now so totally understand your doldrums. A breath of fresh air usually rights me up. That and my sewing!!! Good job on your repairs and pretty garden party blocks!

Mlada said...

Your sister is very grateful for all the work you are putting in and so excited to see the finished product.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...