Sunday, September 6, 2020

Stash Report Week #36 and 15 Minutes

 Saturday, I couldn’t summon the energy to get out my hand piecing after resettling BJ four times before he stayed asleep, so I missed one more day.  My numbers for the year are therefore 240/249.

I finished nothing this week, so the stash remains unchanged.  I am working hard to repair my first quilt, and to that end have pieced a “frankenbatting” from 6 or so scrap strips of batting.  I would like to use up all my batting scraps in the next few months, although the next are really only wide enough for a child or toddler quilt.  One of the next quilts will be a toddler quilt, so I think I’m okay.  I also pieced the batting from red and green fabrics (which sounds Christmas-y, but doesn’t look so in real life).  Since the quilt is 20 years old, the fabrics in the top are remnants from Hobby Lobby, so nothing that is currently “my style.”  The old, totally disintegrated old backing was from odds and ends from my grandmother and two large pieces of satin that were again remnants from Hobby Lobby and did poorly in the test of time.  The top needs many, many repairs before it will be ready to baste and quilt (which I did not do the first time, such a poor job of piecing I had done!), and then I hope it will last another 20.  Dear sister of mine, let it be known, that if you wear it out in another 20 years, it will be fit for the garbage and not repair!  I am enjoying revisiting old fabrics and seeing how much my skills have grown since my first quilt.  Oh, the seam allowances!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis, katie z.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Those nights the kids have troubles make for long days afterwards. Hopefully BJ has been much happier the last week.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...