Saturday, July 10, 2021

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Askew

 I’m afraid my sewing was a trifle discombobulated this week.  Saturday, I didn’t attend to my weeding carefully enough and wiped a poison ivy-tainted hand across my face.  My left eye swelled shut, but after a steroid shot, it would appear I will survive with far less agony than my run in from May!

I did sew three Modern Vintage blocks.  I think I need 5 more for the planned quilt.  Four may be orange, but I’m not sure what the last will be!

For hexagons, I began adding a brown row around the flowers.  Last night, when visiting with friends, I finished this one and made good headway on basting the brown hexagons for the next.
I have spent the last few weeks sewing up some green nine patches.  (What can I say… I needed some sewing that didn’t require complicated decisions.).  Now that I’m assembling them, I think they’re going to look quite interesting together.  In the end I had to cut some extra 2” strips from stash, but I am happy to see fabrics I’d forgotten!  (How can I have forgotten some of them in just the six months since moving?!). I’m slowly trying to use up my overflowing scrap drawers; sometimes I feel like I never make it to the stash because there’s always more scraps to use; I might have had to remind myself not to buy anything for a while.
I need to take the Assistant out to drive now so I’m going to wrap this up.  We may have storms later, but she needs her driving hours and experience.  I’m looking forward to a good errand runner in a year or two!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis, katie z.

P.S. It’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge Weekend!

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Glad you are better, the poison ivy is tricky. Sewing our way through the scraps, is not easy. Believe it, it is slow in the beginning and it looks like we are going now where and then slowly it changes and the scraps become less. Trying not to buy any fabric is a good idea, it helps. The trick is to only buy what you need to finish a project what you do not have. Shopping your own stash first and kitting up the patterns you always wanted to make that you have. Once the kits are made up with the patterns, the clutter and the weight is shifted from heavy to light. The purpose has been found and the projects now have a chance to happen in the future. Smile and do the baby steps, the big steps will happen naturally! Have a fantastic week.

Julierose said...

Oooh poison ivy is no fun--take care...
I like your 9-patches with the yellow blocks--very pretty...
hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your 9 patch project, Katie! The way you're putting them together is really neat! Hope your poison ivy is much better.

Susie H said...

Love the setting for your 9-patches. Looks like a great way to use up those scraps!

Kate said...

The green and yellow works well together, it's going to be a fun quilt. Yes a driver in the family does help with the errands. We still enjoy having the SIT home as she's usually willing to take care of quick strips to the grocery store.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE that new 9-Patch quilt!! Sorry to hear about your poison ivy, Katie. I'm surprised you were able to sew those Neutral blocks with that going on!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...