Saturday, January 14, 2023

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Piles

I have piles of blocks and block parts for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this week.  All my 2.5” blue squares are now four patches.  To me, they are quite an impressive collection; I didn’t expect to have enough for a quilt after the first month, but I may.
I have 25 more box blocks, mostly in teals but some in plain blue as well.  These are my leader and ender project for the year.  I’m determined to keep making them for the year to build multiple quilts instead of enough for just one lap quilt midway through the year.  My 2” scraps need attention before they take over the scrap shelf!
Finally, the purples squares are slowly piling up.  I need 16 “blocks” to assemble this panel.  Last night, I planned the last two, so next week should see some assembly.  Each block has three squares, and I’m trying to position them differently in each block.  With a 7”x11” block, there are some limits, but I’ve enjoyed the challenge.  I confess I will never understand how leaving a bojagi project on the floor (or any other collection of blocks) always coincides with my floor being absolutely filthy.  The dirt and food bits (I’m not far from the kitchen, and my 3 year old wanders when he snacks) are always worst when I have things on the floor!

 Unfortunately, I may not have a chance to sew much today.  My fourth turns 10!! today, so I have a cake and pretzels to bake.  Unfortunately, another child has a stomach bug, so I also need to monitor that.  I’m hoping no one else ends up sick, but that seems unlikely.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Sara said...

Hope your family all feels well quickly and can enjoy a birthday celebration properly. You really do have some fun scrappy blocks going on. I was thinking exactly the same thing about my floors when I took some photos recently - and I don't even have any little kids in my house.

Mari said...

It's amazing what's hiding in those scrap bins! Nice 9 patches, and I'll bet they turn into something fun. Hope the stomach bug goes through the family fast!

Unknown said...

Love to my little buddy and prayers that stomach bugs stay contained.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday to your little one, and get well soon to the sick one, too! I love scrappy 4 patches - I know yours will find a useful spot in a quilt somewhere!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy birthday to??? JoJo!!?! Can that be right, Katie? Glad you got some BLUE scrap sewing done! That purple square project looks like a lot of fun. Hoping the sickie feels better soon (WITHOUT infecting anyone else!)

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday to your big one - double digits! Hope the other one is feeling better and does not share with the rest of the family. Your blocks are looking great. We don't mention all the dust bunnies in all of my photo's!

Maggie said...

Have a wonderful day making treasured memories while having adventures along the way!

Kate said...

You've made good progress on using up some of your scraps. Those purple square blocks are really fun and unique. Fingers crossed no additional cases of stomach bug have popped up.

Ivani said...

WOW! You made great progress using all 2.5” blue squares you have, Kate. Looking forward to seeing what you will make with them.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the sick kids and Happy birthday to your 4th son.

Lin said...

Nice work with your scraps and blues. xx

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...