Saturday, June 3, 2023

Summer, Both Chaos and Calm

 Somehow, the past week felt both insanely busy and preternaturally still.  How, you might ask?  The busy: packing for DH and 2 boys to go to Scout Camp; everyone being home makes extra chores, mess, and sensory overload; I turned some “want to” projects into “have to” and felt pressure instead of anticipation; there was some work related difficulties; and I am disorganized with the beginning of summer. The calm: three people being gone makes the house so quiet, I finished lots of tasks and had free time, it rained so our outside tasks were sometimes abbreviated, and my three oldest are at the delightful age of being really helpful when I need them.

On the Rainbow Scrap Challenge front:

I am still puzzled by the 38(!) 16 patch blocks that came from my scrap box.  Clearly yellow has been neglected.  I’ve begun the red ones, since I sewed up my blues together.


The box blocks are in a similar situation of not-blueness.  I’ll be cutting up my teals and turquoises as again, I sewed dark blue with light.

Then there is this whirlwind of chaos and delight: 
With finish of the last hexagon star, I am now ready to assemble the main body.  Filling in the edges will come later. My goal is to attach one round or half a star each day.  As I make progress, I’ll update you!  This is one of the projects I’m glad to have at this stage but also feel pressure to “hurry up” and assemble.  It also feels a bit tedious since nothing new is being created.

Finally, I have a blue tree skirt in progress.  Today I’ll piece batting and prepare to baste it.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.


5 comments:

Julie in GA said...

You have many wonderful projects in the works. I am blown away by the hexagon stars--gorgeous!

Vicki W said...

I absolutely love the bold and bright hexagon quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those yellow 16 patches are so pretty and appealing! I'm looking forward to seeing how you put all those blocks together. And I love the hexie project - it's going to be gorgeous!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Didn't I read you were disorganized? You could have fooled me. Your prep for working on blues and teals looked precise and organized. No doubt this will enable many stunning blue/teal blocks. Rather than be overwhelmed by your hexie project, you have broken it down to a managable daily task. It is going to be something treasured for generations to come.

Kate said...

Even with only one child, the start of summer vacation was always a bit jarring. Just the change in schedule took a bit to absorb. Good luck with your goals for June. Hopefully things even out as everyone adjusts to the more relaxed state of summer vacation.

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...