Saturday, January 30, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Odds and Ends

This week, two more Bits and Bobs worked their way under the needle.  I have approximately 110 of these beauties, so I'm halfway done with them.   I have enough (I think) of the alternating blocks that involve triangles (the name escapes me at the moment), so the blocks are 3/4 done.  Of course, it may take me another two years to sew up enough tiny nine patches!

My eight applique blocks are done for the month.  I bought new applique needles after I finished five of them, and I'm relieved to say my stitching is vastly improved.  I still probably need better thread, but I am striving to improve my materials as I am able.  These are from a LizzyB pattern, and I love it.  I'll be using my hoarded hand dyed fabrics (from Vicki Welsh) and three batiks for the backgrounds.

The Navy Baby quilt is being worked out.  I think it's wide enough now, so I've begun the rows.  Stitching, stitching, stitching through my scraps, and I continue to lack a love of triangles.
Finally, I finished my puzzle quilt.  It is simply quilted with my walking foot.  I originally considered filling in the pieces, but sitd took so long that I abandoned the further quilting.  I bound it with leftover strips and am quite happy with the plain finish.  I'll be donating this to the facility that does JoJo's therapy.
Backing
Be sure to check out the last of the blue projects and get ready for some… brown?

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Chantal said...

Congrats on finishing the puzzle quilt. At first I thought you did a straight lines in the ditch and I thought why would that take so long. Then I saw that you stayed in the ditch and went around the pieces. Oh! My! Soooooo many turns, moving the quilt around at every inch or so .... WOW!! That's a lot of work. You are so dedicated. A lovely, lovely gift this is. ;^)

scraphappy said...

The bits and bobs are slow going for sure, but so worth it. Great finish on the puzzle quilt. Lovely!

Nell's Quilts said...

Love the puzzle quilt. I was at a hand quilting workshop and was reminded that needles don't last forever. It was suggested that we check for nicks and bends that would affect the stitching. I never paid much attention to it but a new needle sure works well.

Cathy said...

Hi Katie! That puzzle quilt is amazing - you must have infinite patience to quilt around each piece. Love all your bits and bobs, too. And thanks again for the selvages! You are such a sweetie!

PeggyinNO said...

I love the scrappy binding on the puzzle quilt. The perfect finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on finishing the Puzzle Quilt. Very thoughtful of you to make it for the therapy center. Looking forward to getting started on a new Color of the Month!! What about you?

Jennifer said...

I'm with you on the triangles- I dont' like them so much either, and only piece some when absolutely necessary! I'm ready to move on to a new color, too!

Michelle Ridgway said...

I prefer hand work too. Love all you have been working on.

gayle said...

Your puzzle quilt turned out perfectly! Beautiful work! And your pretty applique blocks look like great fun to do.
Your bits and bobs always leave me smiling - I do so love tiny blocks!

Angie said...

Cute applique blocks! And the Puzzle Quilt turned out great!

Kate said...

The applique blocks are really cute, a great way to use those dyed fabrics. The puzzle quilt turned out beautifully and will be a great fundraiser.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...