Thursday, January 7, 2016

Finished Quilt: Spunky's Layer Cake

It's taken longer than it should to blog about this quilt.  I sewed the last stitches in the binding on January 1, but the end of break precluded a photo session.  Even this one is lame, but at least I have a photo.
 This quilt began with a layer cake of Moda's Blessings I won from Edna at Inch by Inch Quilting.  I loved the fabrics, but they don't really "go" with most of my stash, so I didn't want to separate them.  Miss Spunky wanted a quilting project over break, so I decided we could cut these into charms and make a lap quilt for her teacher.  I did have to add 4-5" squares of a green that almost matches in order to eke out one last block.  Spunky selected the pairs and layout.  I think our favorite fabrics were the almost-solids that looked like leather in texture.
 My original plan had been straight line quilting, then a simple meander, but I finally went with a scroll meander.  I love how it looks and I'm very happy to have made Spunky happy.
The finished quilt is roughly 54" x 63", and Spunky gave it to her teacher for a Christmas gift.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Nice quilt and I love the swirly quilting.

Kate said...

Very pretty. Spunky did a good job with the lay out. It turned out beautifully.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...