Friday, January 8, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Puzzles

This week, the littles and I have spent a good amount of time readjusting to being home by ourselves.
Messes have gotten smaller, so I'm finally catching up after the holidays, but helpers are missing, so JoJo and Miss G are sometimes at a loss as to how to occupy themselves.


One project that has been a mite hasty has been this quilt top.  I intended to donate this quilt to an event on February 6, but a scheme developed by the now-deceased coordinator appears to be still in place.  I can't talk much about it, other than that I am not at liberty to give away my quilt for a little while longer.  So, stash and scraps to the rescue.  I haven't ironed the last-sewn seams, so it doesn't appear quite square, but it is.  Now to plot a backing.

I've made excellent progress on my Puzzle quilt.  I'll lay out three rows before I begin stitching, I think, and I'll mull over the border.  I want to keep the full puzzle pieces at the top, but I'm also uncertain as to what color would be appropriate for the border in order to keep the pieces visible.  Any suggestions?  I'm excited that this quilt is all from stash and scraps too.  It's my "blue" for January, even if it's only 25% blue!

Next week sees new therapy starting, so we'll see what sewing happens.  Enjoy your week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Karen said...

I like your puzzle blocks. I have wanted to make a puzzle block but it looks like a lot of work.

scraphappy said...

Love the puzzle blocks! Maybe a neutral for the edges? Perhaps grey or even a black and white print? Whatever you decide,this is a really fun quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The puzzle blocks promise to be a very happy scrappy FUN quilt top.

Kate said...

The puzzle quilt is going to be such fun. I think I'd do a white or gray border, enough to float the jigsaw pieces and then finish with a darker border, just a bit wider.

PaulaB quilts said...

The puzzle is so cute. I think white would keep it floating.

Cathy said...

Oh, your Rainbow star turned out beautifully! I love the colors in your TATW. And I've made a couple of Puzzle quilts in years past and I used black around the edges plus I had a couple of black pieces here and there in the middle to simulate a not-quite-all-put-together puzzle/blank spaces.

gayle said...

The puzzle is wonderful! And everyone else already suggested what I would have, so I'll just sit back and enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Deb A said...

We do our puzzles on the floor (cream) or table (brown wood)... so that would be my suggestions for the edges. Good luck on the new therapy sessions. Your RSC came out beautiful.

Dasha said...

I was going to suggest exactly what Katie did, but black is also a perfect solution for a floating edge. Pretty much any other colour you chose has a chance of clashing against one or more of the colours of the puzzle

Ellen said...

Love the puzzle quilt - I think it is one that I need to make at some point. I really like the idea of adding small black pieces in the body to simulate missing pieces.

Angie said...

Gorgeous Trip Around the World! The puzzle quilt is intriguing - I think I would have a headache trying to keep everything straight!

Magpie Sue said...

Such ambitious projects! Good luck with the new therapy sessions.

Sheila said...

Love the puzzle quilt. Audition a narrow light, white or yellow inner border, and a wide blue outer border. See how that looks.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...