Saturday, January 2, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: a Fresh Start

My Bits and Bobs of the last week are done.  There are, however, only 13, since I apparently had a little trouble counting last week!

Meanwhile, I've spent time ruminating over my scrappy projects and what quilts I need to finish this year.  I wasn't happy with all the finishes at the end of the year, so my methods for scrap use this year will be shifting a bit.  Rather than make the same blocks every month, I'll be making seven different quilts in specific colors along with my leader enders, the Bits and Bobs blocks.  I also have an applique quilt that I'll make blocks for each month, using primarily the color of the month.

My quilt for blue happens to be a blue, green, yellow, and red puzzle quilt.  Puzzle pieces are sometimes used as a symbol for autism and Aspergers (there are those who dislike this as a representation for autism, but let's not go there right now), and I thought I'd make a quilt to donate to JoJo's therapy facility for fundraising.  Since I don't have any other might plans for my blues, I'll tackle this quilt in January.  I'm not expecting a finish this month, but I'd like to finish cutting and planning.

I wish I could start Angela's quilt, but I'm trying to restrain myself this year, as JoJo needs more "mommy therapy" time and Miss G needs her own attention.  JoJo will probably start special Ed preschool in the fall, and I want to make use of our full days this winter and spring!

Be sure to check out other (purple-y) blue projects this weekend.  I can't wait to see what everyone starts for the new year!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

You are so strong to resist! The patterns will always be there when you are ready for them. Great progress on your existing blocks.

Kate said...

Your Bits and Bobs are looking good. I like your plan for making specific quilts from the color of the month. It's a good way to use up scraps of different colors. I really need to do something similar, but with the graduation quilts on the agenda for this year and trying to get the UFO count down again, not happening this year.

Sally Trude said...

The Bits and Bobs are wonderful. I look forward to seeing your rainbow quilts (instead of blocks).

Deb A said...

I love your idea! That will make more of a dent in the scraps each month. Quality time with the kids is always a smart thing. I'm sure JoJo and Ms. G will love all that Mommy time.

Karen said...

I like your idea of different block patterns for the year. I get tired of making the same block month after month and I don't seem to finish a rainbow quilt. I too am resisting Angela's row quilt. I already have too many project on the go. Good luck reducing your scraps this year.

Cathy said...

It sounds as though you have a plan that is reasonable for you. Hurray! Your bits and bobs are great. You are going to have a great year!

gayle said...

I always love your Bits and Bobs! You're combining two of my favorite things - ninepatches and tiny blocks. 8)
One of the things I really love about RSC is that we can all do whatever we want. So much variety, and so many beautiful things to share! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with your RSC play.

Quilter Kathy said...

Sounds like a great plan! ENjoy!

Angie said...

Your plan for this year's RSC sounds great and as always, I'll enjoy seeing your creations!

Edith said...

Bits and Bobs are looking good, and I like your colours for the Puzzle quilt. I too have been taking inventory of my scraps and RSC quilts and blocks in progress. Hope to finish up a few this year.

Sheila said...

I look forward to seeing your ideas come together each week. You are a very busy mommy.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...