Saturday, January 9, 2010

Stash Report Week #2

I showed such excellent self-restraint last week that DH had to connive a plan to blow my stash-busting efforts for at least the next six months.

The assistant sewed her first "dress." I thought I had a picture, but then I remembered that she's not letting me taking pictures of her dress or the robe I made her. Suffice it to say, it's not really a dress but a conglomeration of scraps. She cut it all by herself and showed me where to sew it. Pretty clever! I did make her a robe, and I finished the kitchen curtains. All in all, that was 8 1/2 yards out for the week, enough to put me at 1 1/4 yards out. Until...

It was my birthday on Wednesday, and I have been sick for almost two weeks with H1N1 or some other dreaded influenza that is not prevented by the flu shot. Dang. Well, I did not get to celebrate my birthday much, but DH was a very, very dear man and sent out an email to lots of women I worked with or am friends with and asked them to buy a yard or so of fabric for me and tell me why it reminded them of me.

19 yards later (and I hear there's still more coming), I am in the hole! Here are two shots of some of the lovelies (as well as some thread). DH and the Assistant contributed most of this, but I still received 9 or so yards from friends. Isn't he sweet? I knew he was doing something, but had no idea it was anything like this. This is my kind of surprise! None of these people are quilters, but there is not one yucky-feeling fabric in the bunch. They did good, didn't they?

Some of it is definitely not "my style," but that just means I will get to stretch my brain a little. It's a good thing I still need to make 7 more baby quilts by August so that I can have some busts to make up for this. I really like the two fabrics in the upper right of the first picture and have something in mind for a coin-type quilt. The angel fabric already has an end home in mind too, but that might take me a while to get to.

I also received a new "commercial" iron, two books on Ireland, two fabric-store gift cards, and an umbrella-clothes line for the spring.

AND... two days after my birthday, we closed on 40 acres. I'm looking forward to a huge garden this year.

IN this week: 19 yards
IN YTD: 28 1/2 yards

OUT this week: 8 1/2 yards
OUT YTD: 10 3/4 yards

YTD total: 17 3/4 yards IN

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Tamera said...

Wow! That's quite a birthday haul!

Happy Birthday!

Amy said...

Katie- How sweet and what a fun way to celebrate one's birthday. I agree - your friends/family did a wonderful job selecting fabrics. More fun things to sew.

Brenda said...

that is a great idea of your hubbies!! And it shows he really thinks and cars about you too!!
but, now, with all this extra stash on hand, and you are planning a big move I take it?? When are you going to have time to sew anything???!!! congrats on the acerage!!!!

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you are feeling better!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...