Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stash Report Week #5

The wedding placemats are compete, and since the wedding is Saturday, I figure I can post a picture and not spoil too much. I used rayon thread that I had bought somewhere on clearance, and am glad it is GONE. It did not cooperate with me. 4 yards out.

The Unbaby Quilt is finished too, although not washed. This quilt started with the cream-background, blue flower fabric picked out by my sister in the summer of 2000 from the Amana Colonies in Iowa. It took me a LONG time to find fabric that matched, and then a pattern. The pattern is from Judy's Star BOM (patchworktimes.com). I didn't make all the stars, but picked the ones I liked best. It is handquilted, and I think I probably put 100+ hours total into piecing and quilting this quilt. I ordinarily wouldn't use the golden color, but it was in the original fabric, and I think makes it really lovely. Now I will give it to my older DSister, and hope she likes it as a wall hanging or lap quilt (kinda) for the couch. Anyway, I love it. DH asked if it was for us. Don't I wish? I'm quite proud of it! (5 yards out)

I am making progress in my fabric usage. I have a Strip Twist (ala Bonnie at quiltville.com) ready to quilt for a charity quilt, and am going to assemble the Aunt Martha's Irish Chain blocks for my SiL this week. Those two are another 15 yards or so.

I tried to set up my gifted serger today. No wonder no one wants to thread sergers! I had it threaded correctly, I think, it the needles do not move even though you can hear the machine trying to run. I can run it by hand, but who wants to turn the handwheel a few hundred times to serge around things? DH is going to take a look at it later, but for now, I'm done with it.

IN this week: 0 yards
IN YTD: 41 1/4 yards

OUT this week: 9 yards
OUT YTD: 24 yards

YTD Total: 17 1/4 yards IN

Check out the other reports on Judy's blog, www.patchworktimes.com.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Quiltsmiles said...

Katie, The placemats look lovely. I hope the bride and groom realize all the effort you put into them. Nice finish. Jane

Tamera said...

Oh my goodness. The place mats are lovely and that quilt is GORGEOUS!

Mary-Kay said...

Sergers! What more is there to say about them. They either work or don't. Every time I visit my sister I have to thread hers for her. Oh the placemats looks great and that quilt is beautiful. All that work and you gave it away. I hope she appreciates it.

KatieQ said...

You should feel proud of your star quilt, it' beautiful. The gold fabric gives it just the right amount of punch.

Lady Beekeeper said...

That quilt is yummy!

Lori in South Dakota said...

the quilt is very very VERY nice (lucky SIL!) And sergers, well, I keep my book handy and pray she doesn't come unthreaded when I'm not expecting it. When they work, they're great. the end

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt! I'm with Mary-Kay - all that work and YOU GAVE IT AWAY! Sure hope your DSister realizes the time and effort you put into it - and appreciates it!

^..^

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...