Monday, April 25, 2011

Screamer's Sleeping Bag


This is my 300th post.  Whoda thunk I'd write this much?

The Screamer's sleeping bag is complete.  Someday, when I am more proficient at zippers, I will make proper sleeping bags with zippers, but today is not that day.

When I made the Assistant's sleeping bag, I tried to make the bottom of it thick and cushy for sleeping on the floor.  Alas, that also created a binding nightmare.

This time, I didn't include any batting at all and used fleece for the inside.  The back (floor side) of the sleeping bag is a piece of fleece and a piece of purple fabric.  Instead of row quilting or anything else, I chose to meander quilt across the two pieces.  That gave me some free-motion quilting practice as well as creating a fun design for the Screamer to examine.

The top is constructed of 5.5" strips of house fabric and 3" strips of strip (both from the Around Town fabric lineup by Connecting Threads.  I could've used more accurate cutting from them - my 1/2 yard of strip straightened up to only 17.5".  I'm just sayin'.)  I joined them in a QAYG manner, sewing them to the fleece at the same time.



I only joined one long side completely, joining the other at about the halfway point so it's easier for the Screamer to get in and out.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

No comments:

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...