Friday, April 13, 2012

Square Dancing Complete!

Whew!  I was sewing down the binding last night just before bed, racing around the last corner when DH flipped off the night.  "Hey!" I exclaimed.

Has anyone ever noticed how much faster binding goes when you don't have little ones climbing into your lap to help?

 I am half regretting my choice of binding for this lovely lap quilt (approx. 61" x 73"), as the stripe seems to stand out too much.  I had so many things go "not quite right" about this quilt.  All the fabrics except background were ordered online, and the tone-on-tones don't *quite* match the focal fabric.  My strip sets for the sashing bowed beyond belief.  I didn't do anything differently, but WOW what a mess.  The backing is not quite right either, but I'm making this quilt for a group on a very tight budget, so I didn't want to splurge on an expensive backing.  This was sale priced half off.  I also think my layout could have been improved, as the lights are too clustered together in the top corner.


But as they say, hindsight is 20-20.  I do still like the quilt.  I love the sashing moving around the quilt, and the big focal print blocks, which are outside my normal comfort zone (I love tone-on-tones!).

And it's done, and lovely, and only waiting to be washed to be given away!

Thank you, AmandaJean, for hosting!


from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well done! I love the sashing and the striped binding. I think we are our own harshest critics...

Jennifer :)

Katie said...

What a great looking quilt! And I agree with the other commenter, we are hardest on ourselves.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Oh, I like it! Striped binding is by far my favorite way to go. I think it looks good on that quilt.

Your hats are adorable!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...