Saturday, August 10, 2013

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Red Edition

I apologize for the blurry pictures.  I thought they were okay until I started editing them...

My spools are slowing having sashing added, in between rounds of quilting my sampler quilt (which is quilted and binding being stitched down now!)  I like the sashing, although apparently my DH thought I should put a darker brown.  At this point, though, it's too late, as I had already cut the sashing!  He has a much better color sense than I, but I think my grandma won't mind.  The cornerstones are from my scraps, and to have the little pile gone is good!
I finished 2 more 36-patch blocks for 12 complete.  For some reason, I thought I only needed 20, but that would only be a 36"x45" quilt, which is far too small for a 7-year-old.  I guess I need lots more... lots more... Next year, that will be my focus.  This year, I did have to dig into my red stash (which is pretty small) and cut 2" strips from each of my reds.  Some reds, I cut up entirely, as there was less than a fat quarter left.  I think this means I need to buy some red.  (Don't tell my daughter... she'll try to help!)
 What's left isn't much... a lonely 2" square, some 2.5" strips (I set aside the longest ones for binding on my 9s and 6s), some 1.5" bits, and a small roll of 1" strips.
This week, I'll finish a third 36-patch and work on my 9s and 6s after the sampler binding is complete.

Happy red work this week!  There are lots of other red projects in the works as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh my. Love how your spools blocks are coming together. Your red patch blocks. Great red fabrics!

Vicki W said...

The spools are looking great!

Karen said...

Your spool blocks are looking good.

Cathy Tomm said...

Your spools are looking great. Love the red blocks too.

scraphappy said...

Great looking blocks. Glad you had to cut into your stash. What a great motivation to find some new fabric to freshen up your collection.

Cathy said...

Oh, I think that sashing with the spool blocks adds a lot. I like it. I think that brown looks great.

Deb A said...

Love how your spools are coming along. Your 36 patches are so pretty in red. Shopping and adding to the stash is always fun.

pinsandneedles said...

Love your Scrappy spool blocks! Wow! 36 pieces...those should reduce your scrap pile!

Kate said...

The spools are looking great. Not much red left, which means you've done good with the scrappy clean up. Congrats.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...