Saturday, August 24, 2013

Red Rover, Red Rover

send a quilter right over!

This week marked the first full week of school.  That means lots of time in the car for the boys and me (although ultimately it will be less than last year), lunches, uniforms, homework, and after school snacks.  It also means I had no Assistant to watch JoJo when I needed to run outside for chores.

Q, JoJo, and I are adjusting well to our quieter days.  Q contentedly plays with trains and puzzles, JoJo messes up the train tracks, and I sew.

Many more 9s and 6s blocks ended up on my wall.  I love that the design is becoming clearer now, although I'm still not sure about the light yellow blocks.  They're done now, though, so they'll stay.


What else did I sew this week?  I quilted and completed my spool top.  Finishing at 40" x 61", it should make a lovely quilt for my grandma, who, due to blocked arteries in her legs and back pain, sleeps in her armchair rather than a bed.  There won't be any trailing edges for her to trip over or get caught in the foot ret, but it should still cover sufficiently.

I love that all the spools are scraps, and that even the binding and sashing came from stash.  Grandma will appreciate the beauty in frugality.  Not every fabric is from one of my projects, as some are from the girls buy-and-chop stash, but there will be stories to tell Grandma every time we visit.


I quilted straight lines through the diagonals of each block, then up and down the sashing to move to the next block.  I used a peach colored thread from Connecting Threads, probably something I purchased in a set and then never had a use for.  It isn't too pronounced against the dark colors and blends nicely with the browns and lighter colors.  Obviously, my quilting straight lines could use a touch of work, but I love the pattern as it shows up in the background.



The backing is really the star of the show.  It's dotted with signatures from many of my family members on my dad's side.  When we had a reunion in May, I brought fabric and pens for everyone to sign.  Since I hadn't planned the top yet, I didn't really think about what size I would be using.  Next time, I'll think about size!  I had to chop the edge of two signatures.  Still, everyone's is still legible, and hopefully, it will bring Grandma long distance hugs from all of us when she looks at it!


I'm using leftover spools for a pillow case.  Hopefully that'll be done next week.

Check out other red projects as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Your 9's and 6's is coming along nicely. Love, love, love your spools quilt. Your grandmother will love it.

Vicki W said...

I adore the spools quilt! I also think the light yellow blocks in the other quilt are perfect. It makes a wonderful gradation.

Millie said...

I am so proud of you, as always.

Alzbeta said...

What a beautiful quilt for Grandma! Anni has been talking a lot about her lately and worrying about when we'll get to see her next. I'm going to show her the quilt and tell her that Aunt Kaikee is sending a big hug in a quilt from all of us :).

Teresa in Music City said...

What a great idea to get signatures at a reunion and make a quilt for that special someone - I love it!!! Your 9's and 6's is really cool - the design shows up really well in the thumbnail picture on the RSC site :*)

Karen said...

What a treasure of great memories for your grandmother. Very pretty spool quilt.

Angie said...

Your spool quilt really came out great - I think the layout is wonderful! And what a great treat for your grandmother - I know it will bring her many smiles!

scraphappy said...

Love your finished spool quilt. I know your grandma will too. The arrangement of the colors really ties the quilt together. Great idea for the signatures.

Cathy Tomm said...

Great to finish the spool quilt. Love how the 9 and 6's are coming a long.

Edith said...

Wow Katie, you get a lot done even with all your little ones! I like the pale yellow blocks in the 6s and 9s and I love the back of grandma's spool quilt.

Deb A said...

Your spool quilt came out great. Love all the signatures on the back. Your 9 and 6's are looking good. Enjoy the sewing time.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...