Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Walk To Remember

Easy Street, a pattern by Bonnie Hunter, was released as a weekly mystery between Thanksgiving and New Year's in 2012.  I dutifully gathered my fabric, hustled through the clues, and assembled the top.  Then I said bah humbug.

There were so many things about this quilt I didn't like.  First, my husband was not a fan, so this quilt would not be going on our bed.  I like monochromatic fabrics, so the black on white fabric grated against my nerves.  After staring at the quilt for hours as I pin basted it, I also realized I would have changed the color on some pieces to flow better.

But I also loved things about the quilt.  It used some of my favorite colors and fabrics, including hoarded star prints.  It was fun to trade fabrics with a friend.  I enjoyed being part of a larger community working on the same project in each of our homes.  Mystery quilts were an unknown land to me, and I enjoyed the challenge of completing each clue on time.  It was pretty, by simply not my style.

So the top, with borders added and binding cut, sat.  And sat.  I purchased a backing.  Cut it, even.  And it sat.  Now, despite my trials with the DWR, it is not common for me to leave quilts unquilted for long.  As in, usually only weeks.  I did have a baby and I had no quilting plan.  I thought about hand quilting, but the fabrics were too busy.  It sat for a year.  Finally, I but the bullet and basted it.  I used a star and loop meander to quilt this queen sized quilt on my DSM.  I bound it.  I finished it in January, and now I'm finally writing a blog post about it.

This lovely gem of a quilt will be going to my brother and future sister-in-law, who will be married in May.  Her favorite color is purple, so it should be a happy gift!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

I think it's a lovely quilt and will make a great gift.

Kate said...

It will make a beautiful wedding gift. I've found with mysteries that sometimes you really like them and sometimes you don't. Of the three mystery quilts I've made, I've kept only one. In fact I'm snuggled under it now as I sit in my recliner and catch up on blogs.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...