Saturday, December 10, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Keep Moving

There are only a few days to go before PK makes his appearance!  In the meantime, I'm cleaning, shopping, and catching up on delayed projects.

One lonely Bits and Bobs block joined my collection.  I made more nine-patches, but there are no lots of five to sew together.
The Assistant's next project is all cut and sorted, with even the backing picked out.  She's not sewing much right now, but it's ready to go when she's interested.

I've sewn a few more rose blooms.  I have three more small ones to go before I have to take on the leaves and stems.  One is already basted, so I may be able to finish it before the baby.  We'll see.  I have the background ready to go, so whenever I get there, I get there.
The mending is done!  It took me until Friday to brave the last needed repair, the lining pockets of a suit coat.  It's not lovely, but 'tis done.

I've spent not enough but still far too much time working on the binding on my one remaining "real" UFO.  The quilting is far from finished, but the edges were getting ragged, so I finished the final border and have 2 1/2 sides of the binding finished.
I was much more interested in wrapping up Spunky's free form quilt top this week.  Even after removing the offending wavy border, I found some fullness on the left side of the quilt which is most likely a consequence of my not measuring.  I hand stitched a few extra large seams and think the result is just fine.  The basting probably took fifteen minutes, as the quilt is only 33" x 36", and it quilted up in less than two bobbins of brilliant pink.  I used scraps from my 2.5" bin for the binding, so now all that remains is hand stitching the binding to the back.  I really want to finish the binding on my big quilt first, but the temptation for a quick finish may be too great to resist.
My final project of the week was these blocks.  They are the border blocks for "Garden Party," a quilt by Bonnie Hunter.  I'm making up my own measurements, etc., since I don't have the pattern, but the main blocks will be one of my scrappy projects for next year.  I was a little disappointed that, after cutting all the needed chain blocks, I still have oodles of dark and medium blue strips. I'll keep sewing and see if I missed anything.  Next up will be the full blocks, and I'll work on those throughout the year as time allows.

Be sure to check out all the fabulous projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

Chantal said...

There might be only one Bits and Bobs but you have accomplished a lot this week. Kudos to you. The roses are gorgeous. Just gorgeous!! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you are going to have the best Christmas present of all! I really like the free form quilt you're working on! Looks like a great way to use up lots of bits and pieces.

Cathy said...

I admire you continuing to work and play up to the last minute. Health and happiness to you and baby on your induction/birth on Wednesday; we’ll all be thinking of you and sending best wishes!

verpa said...

Your rosies are great. I love you colour choice

gayle said...

You really got a lot done - especially considering you don't think you got a lot done!
Garden Party is a lot of fun to sew. I'm currently quilting mine, but I miss making the blocks, so in weak moments I catch myself thinking about starting another one...
Good luck with all your projects, both sewing and birthing!

The Joyful Quilter said...

So much going on at your house!! Best of luck on the delivery of your new little guy and congrats on the great progress you've achieved on all of your projects.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your stuff - especially Spunky's improv quilt - VERY nice! And boy, are you busy - with a new baby coming, too! When PK comes - wish him a "Happy Birthday" for me - ;))

Kate said...

Lots of progress on multiple fronts. Hopefully you'll feel like a little hand stitching here and there after the baby comes, so you'll have lots you can pick up and put down as nap times for both of you allow.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...