Saturday, December 31, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Wrap Up

This week, I finally managed to write my birth story (click here if interested).

In between the bustle of visiting family and the distress of a feverish JoJo, I eked out the final few alphabet blocks.  I loved Kate's suggestion of "Spelling Bee" as a quilt name, so that issue is resolved.  I will be adding chunky 5" borders to make it to size.  The lengths are already sewn, and if time, Pete, and chores permit, I'll have a finished flimsy before the end of the year!  I love this quilt.  There was a moment, somewhere in the middle of the chaos of scraps and the mishmash of letters, in which I thought this quilt maybe should not see the light of day.  I think that's just my uncertainty about the lack of planning and unfamiliar construction techniques.  I'm glad now I went for it, even if I would probably change a few things if I did it all over again.  The varied backgrounds maybe should have been kept to one or two, not all five of the possibilities, and the same with the letters.  The Assistant has declared she likes it, which is good since Miss G received a soft, fluffy comforter from a grandma for Christmas and may reject my quilt when it's done.  (I can see my F is pretty invisible with the black coping strip.  Oh, well!)
My "Garden Party" chain blocks are completed, all in blues, ready for the alternate blocks as one of my RSC projects for next year.  I have all the other blocks cut, so I suspect this quilt will work up in less than 12 months!
I'm excited to have the cutting complete for three of my scrap quilts for next year: Garden Party, using 1.5" scraps; mini 9s, using 2" scraps; and hourglass blocks, using 2.5" scraps.  I'll also be making a reduced version of "Barn Dance" by Denise Russart out of my hand dyed fabrics against a lovely dark blue batik I bought a few months ago.  I will, of course, continue with the Bits and Bobs blocks.  At some point I need to see how many more of those I need!

Some of my Rainbow Scrap Challenges this year were:
Girl baby quilt in purple, pink, and green scraps and UFO blocks
the Assistant's quilt
Orphan Medallion
Teacher Plus Quilt
Odd Fellows
Teacher Bricks Quilt
Yellow and Grey Double Four Patch
Teacher Applique Quilt
Twinkler Star
Amethyst and Iron
Autism Puzzle Quilt

Be sure to check out other finishes from 2016 and plans for 2017!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

You have been hard at work. I really like your alphabet quilt and the others you are working on as well.

Chantal said...

I can hardly believe you have finished the ABC quilt! Wow!! Congratulations! I know it is not quilted and all but still, you have accomplished so much at the busiest time of year. Have a happy New Year, full of little blessings. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Spelling Bee is a PERFECT name for that quilt!! LOVE it!! You and I will both be working on the Barn Dance quilt in 2017, as I didn't get as far as I hoped I would in 2016. I do have most of the cutting done, but that's only a small part of the process! We can have our own little QAL... and YOU will probably finish yours first. Wishing you a beautiful Scrappy New Year!!

Alison V. said...

I love how many different projects you did as part of the RSC! I think that is way cool. I love your spelling bee quilt and think that it is ultra fabulous.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I so love your Spelling Bee quilt - it makes me want to do one! I love how you made all the different blocks fit together and added in other fun details. Happy New Year, Katie! I've enjoyed discovering your blog this year.

scraphappy said...

Experimenting with new styles can be a challenge, but it turned out great. Garden Party has been on my list too. Looks like yours is ready to roll.

Kate said...

A very fun quilt! I'm glad the name was a good fit. You've gotten a lot done with all the holiday chaos and a new little one. Wishing you a very successful 2017 and a Happy New Year.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...