Saturday, December 17, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: the Other Side

Finished pink, purple, and green quilt.  It's more square than it looks.
Always in my mind, the birth of a baby is a hard and fast break point in my life.  I don't set goals past that point, I don't really plan for life after that point, since I'm never sure how I'll feel or how baby will behave.
"Sleeping" together.  Miss G tucked JoJo in, and then asked me to tuck her in.

PK was born Wednesday after quite a precipitous labor.  In fact, he was born on my bed without anyone, myself included, realizing what had happened.  That's another blog post entirely, maybe for this afternoon or tomorrow.  He's quite splendid, calm, and tiny compared to my others.  We're sleeping plenty, eating, and managed to pee all over Daddy during his first diaper change.  DH had forgotten about changing baby boy diapers!
Before I was induced, I managed a fair bit of sewing.  To be honest, I was very nervous about labor, since Miss G had a scary end to her delivery two years ago and then I had a miscarriage.  I sewed my brains out trying not to worry.  In the end, I finished all the nine patches for my chain blocks, so the box is getting tidier with each sewing session.
One more rose appliqué is hanging on my wall.  I finished it Tuesday evening and was so happy to place it with the others.

PK's placemat is already done, as my sister finished embroidering his name, and I backed it with a fabulous fat quarter in blue and purple, quilted it, and bound it. Tuesday was a busy day between sewing and cleaning!
Finally, my big project of the week, which even saw a few new pieces added Friday, is a new orphan block project.  I had a few black, yellow, grey, and black and white orphan pieces, so I decided to throw them all together.  One was the letter Z, which really puzzled me.  The Assistant, whose name starts with Z, didn't really need a new quilt or pillow so... DH has been pestering me to make a bedsize quilt for Miss G, since he often sleeps with her after she wakes up at night.  His request was to back it with a sheet like a quilt I was working on when the Assistant was born.  That eleven years ago, almost, so I told him I'd try.  As luck would have it, my older sister and mom went to the mall with me, and we found a set of clearance sheets at Dillard's that were very similar.  I bought them, so I had the backing.  Now for that Z and the front!  I decided to pull out my Tonya Ricucci book, Word Play, and build a liberated alphabet in my orphan blocks for the front.  I have 16 letters done and am sewing together the lower rows since everything won't fit on my design wall in pieces.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

Be sure to check out all the projects as they wrap up this year!

11 comments:

LA Paylor said...

Oh my goodness... sewing to distract yourself from the fears of child birth. Now that's a story waiting to be written. Who could believe it!?!! LeeAnna

Chantal said...

Congratulations to you and DH on PK's arrival. He looks so adorable. I can't believe how much work you've accomplished, I mean beside giving birth. Put your feet up Mama and rest a bit. I'm sure you need it even if the nights are calm. Enjoy your little bundle of love. ;^)

Cathy said...

Woman, you are an example to us all! First, congratulations on the speedy and healthy birth of PK. So glad he’s a restful baby for you. And the sewing frenzy - wow! A lot of beautiful work in every sense of the expression!

Quilter Kathy said...

OH my goodness that is exciting news! What a beautiful baby!
And such a fun letter quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE Miss G's new gray and yellow alphabet quilt!!! You were SEW busy last week. Congrats! on the birth of that adorable PK. Happy to hear that things went well.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on the birth of PK! It's good to hear he is happy and healthy! There's nothng like sewing to keep the worries at bay. I'm glad that worked for you this past week.

gayle said...

Woohoo! You had a very productive week! 8)
Glad all is well and hoping he's a good sleeper. I hope you can relax a bit now and then!

Deb A said...

Congrats on the new little bundle of joy! So glad he is letting Mom and Dad sleep. Enjoy those stolen bits of sewing time that the kids are allowing you. Your appliqué block is beautiful.

PaulaB quilts said...

God bless little PK with health and happiness. May he always be a delight to you and your family. Your word quilt is a nice coincidence. Love your square quilt, so bright and cheerful.

Angie said...

Serious nesting going on before PK's arrival! Glad to hear he arrived safely and you are both doing well. Be good to yourself and enjoy those precious new baby days!

Kate said...

Congrats on the safe arrive of PK. He's a little cutie. Looks like you've got a lot going on with the scraps. I really like your liberated yellow and black blocks. It's going to be a fun quilt.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...