Saturday, December 3, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: the Almost, but Not Quite Edition

Getting ready for baby is complicated.  I've taken two "stock up" trips to the store for nonperishables and still don't have everything.  We went to the mall today to get shoes for the outgrown, worn out, and lacking shoes.  JoJo found the train at the mall, and we had a meltdown where I had to carry him out of the mall at the end.  He's struggling with getting back into routine after Thanksgiving Break, and big brother Q is being a little... naughty... these days.

In between all that insanity, Spunky and I have been collaborating on using up my pink, gree, and purple orphan blocks and scraps.  The "almost, not quite" in this case is because I sewed on a side strip that is positively waving at me.  I hate ripping, but I'll hate quilting that wavy mess even more.  Still, it's pretty fun and funky.



My other "almost, not quite" referred to the Assistant's quilt, which is entirely cut from my 2.5" Scrap bin.  She finished the last seams on Sunday, we agreed on a backing (trains, since it's for the Assistant to snuggle with the new baby boy), I tried to piece a scrap batting but ran out and cut new, and I basted.  I forced myself to get up every ten minutes for ten minutes to keep the basting from wreaking total havoc on my pelvis and back, so it wasn't too bad.  I even quilted it over two days, and we won't point out the missed seams or too narrow seams.  I quilted over the worst, and the quilt is made to be used, so it's all good.  I had to tell her about my first quilt, which gets returned to me once a year by my older sister so I can make repairs.  Yes, it was and is that bad.  I "almost" had the binding done when I started this post, didn't think I'd finish before mid morning, but had plenty of time to finish since Miss G woke early this morning.  It's DONE!!!  I love it, and hopefully she does too.
I finished the Orphan Medallion quilt last Saturday afternoon, washed and dried it, and totally forgot about it in the dryer.  Now it's folded up and waiting for a need.
I think I have to face down the mending basket this week, since I will have no desire to tackle it after baby arrives.  I really don't like mending.  Intensely.  But I'll do it, since I love my family.

Cold weather has finally arrived, so I'm bundling up for chores and enjoying cold feet at night.  The quilts are emerging from storage, and I think we'll be changing all the bedsheets to flannel or knit before the baby comes.

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

The Assistant's quilt turned out BEAUTIFULLY (as did the Blue Orphan Medallion!!!) Have FUN with Spunky and the pink/green/purple scraps and orphan blocks. Most importantly, good luck with the final preparations before the new baby arrives!!!

gayle said...

Beautiful finishes! (And especially impressive with the baby so close! Oh my!)
Good luck with the mending. (I'm not a fan, either...)

Cathy said...

Congrats to all on the Assistant’s quilt finish with the help of Mom. I feel for you having to get down and baste. Sounds like you’re well on your way to hunkering down with the baby and the cold for awhile. Best of luck to you with the birth, which sounds like it’e impending. Great finishes this week - now you’re ready for the biggest “finish” of all!

Kathy S. said...

Love the borders on the orphan medallion. Congrats on another quilt finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You've been working on so many lovely quilts! I love the assistant's quilt, and her purpose for it. Your orphan medallion quilt is beautiful, too! Good for you for keeping at that mending. I'm not sure any of us would be any more excited about it than you are, but some things just have to be done! Lol!

Kate said...

You and the Assistant have been really busy. Congrats on 2 finishes. You are definitely in "use it up mode".

Sheila said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Assistant's quilt! Love all the colors. Everything about it!

Dar said...

I think the Assistant did a grand job on the quilt. It turned out beautiful with mom's help. I don't envy you having to get down on the floor to baste a quilt. I have trouble with that and I don't have a baby coming! Your blue medallion looks great too. You have been very busy. Hopefully things will settle down before Christmas. Ripping and mending are not high on my list either! lol

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...