Saturday, June 8, 2019

In Which I Eat An Elephant...

... one bite at a time.

Ah, early summer, when the days are long but the to-do list is longer.  The big kids and I have worked hard on weeding and mulching.  The Assistant and I labored through planting 100 more strawberries since our original batch drowned.  Those last 25 were hard so I just wanted to quit!  We’re all done now.  The Noah-like rains have abated, at least temporarily, so we are all enjoying being a little drier.

There are mulberries to pick, but it may be the birds’ lucky year, as I don’t have the energy right now.

Once we recover from outside chores each morning, I’ve been working away at my Great Granny Squared blocks, making my 16-patches into strips of 4, and hand quilting a whole cloth baby quilt.  I’ve officially reached the halfway point for the Granny blocks, a little behind schedule, but I can always adjust if I end the year with not quite enough blocks.  Aren't they so happy?
All the blue 1.5” scraps are already sewn into 16-patches, so I don’t have them to sew for June.  I have no idea if I have enough 16-patch blocks for a king sized quilt, but rather than count, I’m using them as leaders and enders by sewing them into a strip of 4.  Five sets of four make one row, and 22 rows will make a quilt.  I’m not making the rows right now, so if it turns out I need more blocks, it will be easy to incorporate them later.
The baby quilt is chugging along nicely.  My goal is one length of thread a day.  The designs are what slow me down, as I don’t know how close I want the quilting.  (ooh, and Vicki, who made the crystal I am using for my whole cloth quilt, is having a sale!)

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out the inspiration of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Glad it has dried out a bit for you, but it's too bad you have to replant because of the rain. You always have wonderful projects on the go - I love those Granny Squares!

Karen's Korner said...

We could do with some of that rain here in Australia. Love your colourful granny squares.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Eating an elephant, indeed! It's amazing how much you get done a little at a time. Your granny squares are wonderful. Good luck with the weather and the strawberries. This has been a crazy year here, too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never beat the birds for the mulberries! 100 strawberry plants that is a lot! - love your granny squares

Kate said...

Sounds like your summer has gotten off to a busy start, both in the garden and with your stitching. Good luck with both endeavors this summer.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your afternoons of sewing sound like a great reward for a good morning's work, Katie! Glad you are finding time to sew with the bigs and littles all at home for the summer. A bit of rest for the weary is a very good thing!

Vicki W said...

Thanks for the shout out! I love the granny squares too.

Lori said...

I LOVE granny square blocks!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...