Saturday, June 1, 2019

No Rainbows Here

Good morning, sewing friends!  There are no rainbows here because we’ve finally had no rain since Tuesday.  Of course, there are severe storms predicted for this afternoon and the entire next week, but at least the ground is drier and the ditches have drained.  We have been working at breakneck speed to catch up in the yard and garden.  All this adds up to less sewing, but I’ll take it.  There will be time for sewing during the wet days this week.  In fact, it is so sunny that I struggled to find some floor space that wasn't sundrenched.  What a glorious problem to have!

I whipped up my four orange Tiny Tuesday blocks.  Aren’t they so happy?

The final inches of binding on the baby quilt are done.  It’s been washed and dried and now set aside for giving away.  I have no idea why I’m so disappointed with this quilt, as it’s perfectly lovely, but there it is.  The backing is a remnant of a glorious fabric by Vicki Welsh (can you tell I love her fabric?).

I’ve started a new baby quilt using a crystal from Vicki Welsh.  It has been a pleasure to plot hand quilting for the lovely dyed designs on it.  I hope to work on it a little every day, as that gets me off my feet and out of the garden when it’s sweltering, and maybe finish it by the end of June.  I’m using washable markers to mark the quilting designs and stitching everything in a grey-blue thread.
Most of my sewing time found itself devoted to my nine-patches and stars quilt.  When the month of May began, I had no intention of getting too far on this quilt, but it’s now basted for quilting.  Although I rarely leave basted quilts to be quilted for later, I may very well do that with this one.  There’s no hurry to it, and I can finish it when we get to pink or brown later in the year.  I didn’t realize until I was basting the flimsy that I really needed to be more careful with my sashing, as the triangles from each block needed to match up with those in the opposite block.  Well, I didn’t realize, and I won’t fix it now.  (Oh, yes... and the quilt that was my inspiration is found HERE.  The link was saved on my old iPad, which the kids now use, so it hasn't been convenient for me to snatch it up!)

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out, this Saturday as every Saturday, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.  They'll be shifting from orange to blue!

5 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your ORANGE blocks done AND getting some sunshine, too!! I'm wondering if you might have liked the baby quilt better with white background fabric. Do you think the added punch of contrast might have helped? It's the only thing that I could think of as a looked at your sweet finish.

Kate said...

Enjoy the sunshine today. Hopefully they've over predicted on the storms, but with what it's been like the last month, that's probably very wishful thinking. You had a very productive May. Enjoy your stitching time this week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Tiny Tuesday blocks are full of sunshine - so pretty! I like your baby quilt finish, too - the design those kinds of blocks make really appeals to me. Glad to hear you have dried out a bit in recent days, too!

Vicki W said...

Well I love the baby quilt, front and back!

JanineMarie said...

The tiny Tuesday blocks are so happy! I do like the baby quilt, too. It’s very calming. I’m looking forward to more of your current project. Aren’t washable markers great.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...