Saturday, April 25, 2020

Scrappy Sewing, Quarantine Style

I’ve laughed at all the memes about how brutally awful March and April of 2020 were to the world, but I really thought we were going to weather this stay at home order without too much drama.  Then, this week arrived!  Cue lightning and thunder and drama.

Our internet has decided to have an unreliable spell, cutting in and out all day.  This is not a pleasant way to manage lessons and work.

A rather more delightful source of chaos arrived in a box of chicks (meat and egg layers) in the midst of a torrential downpour.  I’m glad we ordered them before the panic buying of all the chicks began!

Back on the unfortunate side, BJ (now almost 9 months old) is suffering from high fevers.  We haven’t been exposed to CoVid19 to our knowledge (the only outside people he’s seen are my parents, who are also isolating).  Today may need to involve phone calls to our doctor for advice.

I made eight more masks this week for siblings and their kids.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the foxes.  Cutting them out requires spreading fabric all over my tiny sewing space, but I just cut out a batch at a time and have them ready to go.  21 down... do I have it in me to make 80?  I’ve ordered some orange fabric, as each fox is unique, but I’m not sure 80 is in the cards.  That’s fine, really, as he’s going to be little for a long time!

There are more bee blocks appearing.  In fact, we may have to take down some blocks from one of the projects!  I do need to figure out how to calm it down a little.  Maybe I’ll sash everything in grey or black?  Or white, but I do not particularly like swaths of white in quilts for young people.

My only real blue sewing is a few more Garden Party blocks.  I have over 40 done, so I’m well on my way to finishing this quilt for a Christmas gift!

I’m going to make a better effort this week to tour all the links.  If I don’t comment, it’s something with my iPad and commenting settings.  If my google account won’t show, I can’t comment, and I have tried several things with no improvement.  Oh, well.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. I link up each Saturday to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope the little ones fever goes away - with little ones it is hard to figure out why at times - teething, ears - so many things. Glad you baby chicks got to you ok. Yes that was some storm - we had it last night and luckily after an hour it was gone

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds scary to have your little guy struggling with high fever - hope you've found some relief for him. Those foxes get better each week! I would probably not manage 80 of them either, but maybe you'll be just as happy with a smaller quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, Katie! I hope BJ is feeling better soon. Regarding orange, if you let me know what size pieces you need, I will happily check my stash for you. Good luck taming the bee quilt!

Deb A said...

Oh no! High fevers are no fun for littles. Hope it comes down quickly and he is back to normal. The foxes are so pretty. I think a nice black would calm it down nicely and think of the little bee's that could be quilted in there with a yellow buzzing line =). My hubby has been mentioning getting chickens for a couple of years now... still have not sprung that one yet but with Emily getting into AG next year in middle school I have a feeling they will be building this summer to prepare for it.

Cathy said...

Hope B is okay!

We haven't raised chickens for years. We stopped when we went out one day and found them all missing except for feathers. I think there was a fox or some other culprit in the hen house. I would like to raise them again now that I'm retired but now the henhouse is falling apart.

Kate said...

Spotty Internet is never fun, but especially not now with all that you need it for. You've made a lot of progress on the odds and ends. Hopefully BJ is feeling much better and the fever is gone.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...