Saturday, July 18, 2020

I’ve Got the Blues...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...  Here in Kansas, we’ve put off inevitable decisions about schools for another three weeks.  I don’t see how anyone thinks we can open “normally” at all, and given the needs of some of our children, this is forcing me into the uncomfortable situation of planning to homeschool in the fall.  I was really hoping they would have a safe plan and I (an introvert) could finally get a day to myself.  Nope.  So there wasn’t as much or as tidy of sewing this week.

I did finish a hand pieced hexagon star after months of on again, off again work.  Woohoo!  Yes, it’s pink and not blue, but it was for last month.  Now I can work with blue.

The fox quilt is officially an (untidy) flimsy.  It needs a good pressing, but BJ likes to unplug things right now, so I have been avoiding the iron for extended periods of time.  The boys shuffled beds this week, so BJ officially has a big boy bed for his naps and is ready for a big boy quilt.

I hope to finish the rest of the flying geese (I think I need 12 more) this weekend, and I also hope to make my 10 Garden Party blocks for the month by the end of the day.

I hope your days are calmer, less uncertain, and more restful than mine!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. I’m linking up to Angela’s Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

9 comments:

compusword said...

I spotted your blue blocks on the So Scrappy blog. Love, love the effect created by placing them side by side. Liz in Houston

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That hexagon star is beautiful, Katie! And I love how the fox quilt is looking, too. It is a really difficult time for making those decisions about whether to send your kids back to school or not. I think I would keep my kids home, too, if I had to decide.

Jenny said...

Deciding on schooling must be such a difficult decision for parents during these terrible times. What to do for the best must take a lot of thinking, discussion and pondering the options. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You managed to use up some bits of Dark BLUE this week, Katie. That's good and a completed fox quilt top is even better. Congratulations on a successful week (in spite of the school worries!)

grammajudyb said...

Kudos for getting anything done at all! I’ve been in a funk! I had to really force myself to see and to find things “I Like” for the Thursday posts at Not Afraid of Color.

So many decisions for parents to make these days. ((Hugs))

Julierose said...

First off, that pink hexagon star is just gorgeous...nice work.

I don't see either how schools can be re-opened safely and for all students...our present buildings were not designed to accommodate our present needs at all...I can understand your decision to homeschool..I wish you luck with your decision...
Hugs from afar julierose

Deb A said...

First off, your pink hexagon star is beautiful! Love the foxes and I remember those days of loving to unplug things well.

Completely understand your thinking of homeschooling as well as the introvert and needing some peace and quiet. Whatever decision you make for your family is the right one for you - support you 100%. I think we don't hear this enough as there are some really tough choices right now.

Kate said...

Love the foxes and that hexie! I don't envy families with younger children during this time. It's a lot of hard decisions. Many of our co-workers are struggling with putting their kids in daycare, but if they want to keep their jobs, they just don't have a choice. Hope you can get a bit of a break soon, at least a short one before you have to start the homeschooling.

R's Rue said...

Love it.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...