Saturday, July 11, 2020

Steps

It’s been a long, hot, chaotic week here in Kansas.  We had some unpredicted storms, messy days, and always more work than there is energy and daylight.

I am really quite chuffed with my courtyard steps.  I made some dark blue and some pinky-purple courtyard steps this month, but here they are all mixed up together.  I have five more sets of scraps left to go, so this will be a very nice size of quilt when I’m done.  I’ll just hack off the tops or bottoms of blocks to make each column match its neighbor when it comes time to assemble them together.

The fox sashing strips are made, so now I’m working on sewing the rows together.

The flying geese are in between other things right now.  I discovered I didn’t cut enough “wings,” so I did some cutting this week too.  I have about 150 flying geese finished, so only 62 (I think) left.  It would be nice to wrap them up this week.

I’m also drowning in cucumbers and tomatoes, so it’s time to make salsa and tomato sauce.  I’ve already made all the pickle variations we can possibly eat this winter.  While it keeps me hopping, I do enjoy putting up my own food in the summer!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  It’s Saturday, so that means it’s time to link up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

only a little cucumbers here so eating as they are ready - I hope to have a lot of tomatoes - plenty of green ones right now
I always call that pattern Chinese Lanterns instead of Courthouse steps - I think it has both names - I need to make one I like the look

scraphappy said...

Oh I do like those Courthouse Steps blocks as well. Enjoy the canning. You will surely enjoy the efforts all winter.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Progress on THREE quilt projects AND putting up the fruits of your gardening efforts? You are QUITE the wonder, Katie!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like how you're making the courtyard steps blocks - just whacking them off if they are bigger than their neighbor! The fox quilt looks wonderful, too. Homemade pickles, salsa, and tomato sauce - yum!

Vicki W said...

I'm always impressed by everything that you get done! I really love the Courthouse Steps blocks. That's going to be a pretty quilt.

grammajudyb said...

Kudos from me also! You are amazing! I’ve got two tomato plants in buckets! Fingers crossed for at least enough to have BLT a couple of times. More hail this week, but my tiny garden was spared! My friend’s, not so much!

I am so excited to see the fox quilt progressing!

Best wishes, stay healthy!

Jenny said...

I love the foxes too, it is getting closer to a finish every week!

Julierose said...

Your Courtyard Steps is really lovely--I just love how the shading goes...
nice work Julierose

Kate said...

The courthouse step quilt is going to be a beauty when it's finished. Congrats on all the progress, including on the canning and such.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...