Saturday, May 28, 2022

Oddments: An Adventure

 I hope you will forgive my wrinkly picture.  The flimsy is carefully pressed and tucked away, and not until that task was accomplished did I realize this was the “best” picture I had.  The blocks are done and assembled.  Since the blocks are large (9”x14”), most of the assembly was a breeze.  Even where there were many seams, it was a matter of pinning and NOT matching seams together.  I’m pleased to have gotten this far in May.
Tomorrow is our 17th anniversary, so DH and I slipped away last night for a brief trip without kids (only our second overnight away from everyone… autism and sleep disorders makes it hard on everyone!).  Before I left, the Assistant and I industriously wrapped rubber bands around fabric and I set to mixing my dye.  We shall see what it looks like in a few days!  Even if it doesn’t “work,” it will be a matter of redyeing, and so far, it looks promising.
I spent an afternoon cutting and tidying the scraps left from this project.  Since it required six sizes of scraps in 1/4” increments, some of the leftovers did not fit into my scrap system.  All’s well now, and my cutting board looks oddly empty.

Next month’s scrap projects will be my triangles and my split star blocks.  The triangles are finally ready to assemble into strips.  Each strip will contain 1024 triangles.  I’ll be sashing the strips with red after I test the red for dye fastness.  The split star blocks are patiently waiting.  Plenty of pieces are cut, but I need to busy myself with sewing components so I can assemble some blocks!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you enjoyed your night away. Oddments looks like a fun quilt! Is the green dyed fabric for the backing? Won't that be pretty?!

Vireya said...

"Oddments" looks great!
Happy anniversary.

Susie H said...

Oddments looks wonderful. Happy Anniversary! Glad you managed to get away even if only for a night. Every couple needs that every now & again. Sounds like you've got some serious sewing waiting for you. Enjoy!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...