Saturday, March 25, 2023

Greening Up



Every year, the creeping of spring surprises me. The henbit, while a weed, does look lovely in the otherwise dead and dismal yard.  I have a few daffodils and crocus as well.  I’ve started the last of my seeds this morning, and we’ve already planted potatoes and onions (and garlic last fall).

I finished my 16 patch blocks in green this week.  At first, I was surprised to find 38, until I remember how much green was chopped up for the green quilt last year.  Three months into the year, I almost have enough 16 patches for a quilt!

This week, I also made a (small) optical illusion.  I used google sheets’ conditional formatting to plot my colors and cutting directions.  I haven’t needed spreadsheet formulas for ages, so I was glad Spunky could teach me a few things.  This little quilt was much more fussy, as strip sets wouldn’t allow me to have lights all the way around.  Still, it’s pieced and I can ponder what to do with it next.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis, katie z.

 

4 comments:

Sara said...

OOOOh - that optical illusion quilt is amazing!!

Maggie said...

Great block, it had my head spinning. We planted garlic in the fall too. Some potatoes, peas and Swiss chard got planted this past week. Next week,hopefully Monday will be seed planting day for me in pots. Will start them indoors and then move them outside once the frost risk is over. Have a good weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love all your green 16 patches! The optical illusion quilts you've been working on are just amazing. I wouldn't know how to use Google Sheets either, but the kids always do!

Vicki W said...

Oh, I love that OI quilt!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...