Tuesday, July 2, 2024

The Great and Wonderful Hexagon Quilt

 I like to revisit my progress on the hexagon quilt when the middle of the year arrives.  It looks like I didn’t snap a picture in January, but I know I was in the process of assembling the center and then making the filler blocks for the edges.

The entire top is pieced by hand, taking approximately 730 hours, and I found my rhythm for quilting in June.  It’s hard to see in the picture, but I have not quite 1/4 of the quilt bound (knife-edge, no binding), and a little less than 1/32 quilted.  At the current rate, I’ll still be quilting this next July, but I’ll be close to the end.  Of course, that’s if I only do one line of quilting in each hexagon, and I’m playing with the idea of quilting through all three axes of each hexagon.  It would be lovely texture, but I’m not sure I’ll still want to keep quilting after another year.


It really is such a lovely quilt.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

It is spectacular!

August Block Count

 I thought I wrote this, but it seems to be lost somewhere or I never wrote it at all… August was a quiet block month, with only 42 16-patch...