Monday, January 10, 2011

Design Wall Monday & Goals



... make that "Design Floor" Monday.  My yellow project - a table runner - is pin-basted and awaiting quilting.  The question to answer this week is: How do I quilt this?  I already have a hand quilting project underway, and it is unlikely that I will get this finished this month if I hand quilt it - plus I will do boring things like stitch-in-the-ditch.  The fabrics are mostly florals and vines.  The background fabric is the same wow roses that I used to make my girls' dresses for my sister's wedding.  I'm a very inexperienced machine quilter, so I can't do anything too exciting, but I think I will go that route - I can't wait to see this finished.  My sister already said she wants it early!

Now that I've seen my drawing translated into fabric, I can see all kinds of exciting variations on the color layout for this.  I think I'll continue to try variations for my upcoming monochromatic quilt challenges as well.

As to goals:
1. Determine a quilting strategy for the table runner and begin to execute it.  Make the binding for the table runner.
2. Hand quilt another row on the Pink Things top.
3. Finish my UFO #6 - I have one more binding to hand stitch, and I'm done!
4. Make at least the 43 necessary buttons for the cassock I am making for a friend.  He's being ordained to the diaconate in May, and we finally got his measurements sorted out, so it's time for me to get busy.
5. I should begin washing all my new fabric.

And mending?  I did enough last week that the pile is no longer threatening to take over my nook, so I can forget about it for another week.

Check out the other design walls for inspiration at Judy's place!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Katie, I love the table runner, what a good idea for the monochromatic challenge.

Jo said...

You are doing great on you yellow challenge. I am not really doing it..My UFO project is dug out. Hopefully I will get something done on it this week!

Chris said...

Beautiful table runner. I am amazed at how the yellow quilts are coming together.

scraphappy said...

Great table runner. Small projects are fun to practice quilting on. Before you know it you'll be a pro. Good luck and have fun.

Karen S said...

Nice table runner -- I love the pattern! I would do it on the machine and do some feathers or freely interpreted viney things.

Alycia said...

Ilike your table runner!

Gari in AL said...

Make buttons? How?

Love your table runner. I wan't going to participate in the monochromatic (sp?) challenge but now I think that I may. I could use table runners, table toppers, and possibly a baby quilt or two. Hummmmmmm

Lori said...

large stitch utility quilting with pearl cotton (the heavy weight stuff thats more like string) in a lovely lemon yellow. Big stitches, large needle, not a lot of quilting but more than tying. It would go fast. Hmm--how about some yellow buttons in the setting triangles--they could be like tying it to hold it there.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...