Thursday, May 19, 2011

Monochromatic Quilt Challenge

May's version, in red, is complete.  Cut, pieced, quilted, trimmed, threads tied, bound, washed, dried, and photographed.  Whew!

I easily cut and pieced it, but getting down to the nitty-gritty of quilting was labor-intensive.  I used some gold metallic thread in the cream background, and that may have been a mistake.  I had not bargained for so many skipped stitches, even after I adjusted the tension.

My free-hand machine quilting is improving, I think.  I like the flower in the center, even if it is a little wonky.  (There was a 1-year-old trying to stick scissors in my machine, so I had to stop in the middle of it all.)

 Depending on the next color chosen, I would like to try a variation of this with the cream squares between rings also being colored.  That, of course, requires a color that I have enough pieces of to make 13 different colors!  I have plans...

My pattern of this is mostly written.  Now I need to rope in some unsuspecting, friendly people in the blogger world to try out my directions.  I don't know any quilters in "real" life, so I don't have anyone to ask near me.  I also need my beautiful sister to do her master design work to make the paper directions look beautiful.  She even made a logo for me!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

ETA: If you would be willing to test the pattern, I can't reach you if you are a no-reply blogger!  Thanks!

10 comments:

Alzbeta said...

I think it's beautiful! I really like the quilted flower in the center... if it's wonky, I don't see it :). You are talented!

Vicki W said...

That's really lovely!

Ellen said...

It's beautiful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

beautiful!!!

Linda said...

That's very pretty.

Marg said...

I love it and your fmq doesn't look wonky to me either.

Cheryl Willis said...

beautiful quilting, it is fun seeing the 'red' projects. cw

Becky said...

I like your runner. I've done some pattern testing in the past, and would be willing to try yours if you like.

k. said...

I would be happy to test your pattern (it is very lovely) and I also have access to some beginners (in my quilt group) who would be happy to review the instructions I am sure. ;) k.

Pat said...

Love the colors and the quilting is amazing!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...