Sunday, January 13, 2013

End of the Pink

My pink scraps are exhausted but for a few 1" x 1.5" and 1" square bits.  The final result for the month ended in a baby quilt, a doll quilt, eight spool blocks


and one 9" block for a scrappy rainbow quilt at the end of the year.


Not a bad start to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for me!

I've tentatively made plans for quilts I want to make out of my other scraps, but since the quilts don't use up all my strip sizes (1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5"), I'll be tossing around ideas for other things to make. Of course, I'll cut spool blocks from every color as I am able.  There are plenty of babies being born in our circle of friends, so scraps can always go to that.  I'm thinking video coin quilts might be in the makings.

I love that working with these scraps keeps me using fabric that I otherwise don't touch for months at a time.  What's the point of keeping scraps if I don't ever use them?  I don't have extensive scraps, but neither is my storage extensive, so using what I have now instead of saving them for the great "someday" is a better use of my resources.  Besides, sorting the scraps once a month will help me keep up on the scraps that need to be trimmed.  I have a bad habit of throwing them in a bag until the bag is overflowing, then feeling absolutely overwhelmed at the prospect of such tedious trimming.  Now, I'm down to only three or four awkward sized pieces that will be pressed and trimmed in February.

Now it's off to finish preparations for the baby.  He will be arriving tomorrow, as I'm being induced!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great blocks!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I had no idea pinks could look so good together. I always thought of them as just girly but there are so many different ways to put them together and make interesting patterns.

Jeanne said...

Good job with the scraps, and good luck with the baby!
Jeanne :)

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Great job at finishing the scraps, and congrats on the baby. May the two of you both be home and cozy come Monday and get some much needed rest.

scraphappy said...

Glad you were able to make a dent in the scraps before the big arrival. I hope you will be able to find a bit of time to sew in the near future, but it is a busy time. Enjoy every minute though, they grow up so fast.

Cathy said...

Wow! You got a lot of mileage out of your pinks! Congrats.

Sheila said...

I like how you think about scraps. And your scrappy plans.
Good luck tomorrow. New babies are so sweet and exciting.

Edith said...

Wow, you've done well with your pink scraps. Enjoy that baby.

Deb A said...

Great job working with your scraps. I wish you a speedy delivery and enjoy that bundle of joy that is arriving. They are so precious and do grow up so fast.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous start...love the pink spools!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great blocks. The spools are fun to do. The idea of a coin quilt is a great idea to use it up. Congratulations on the Baby.

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...