Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Finished Quilt: Haint Quilt

We live in a house built in stages.  The original house, a T shape, was built in the early 1900s.  It has a lovely front porch, where we have put an outdoor bench with a cushion.  Someday, to mimic houses in the south, I would like to paint the ceiling a light blue.  Tradition says it helped keep away the haints, or ghosts, hence leading to the name of “haint blue.”

The quilt was born of a problem with our outdoor bench.  The cats, of whom we owned two and inherited roughly four (maybe more, but consistently four show up to be fed), have decided the front porch cushion is the perfect place to sunbathe.  While I can’t blame them, I do not enjoy sitting on wads of cat hair or of my bench reeking of cat.  So… this quilt can go on the bench when I want to sit outside, along with a smaller, also washable cat mat.


I cut 4.5” squares of a variety of light and light-medium blue-greens. The backing is the beach gradient by Vicki Welsh.  It’s not often I immediately cut into her fabrics; I tend to treasure and dream about them for a while first.  I bound the quilt in a darker blue green.   The quilt finished at 40” by 64”, which I consider large enough to wrap in on a cooler day but small enough to wash conveniently (and left very little leftovers of the strips I cut).

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Fabulous and very pretty solution to a cat problem. Sounds like they are quite spoiled since you moved in!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! What a fun solution to your cat problem.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...