Monday, February 28, 2022

Finished Quilt: Rhododendron Mystery

 

It’s finished!  (Please forgive the distortion.  It tangled in the dryer, so I threw it over a couch to dry.  I can see exactly where the arms and back of the couch were!). It never ceases to amaze me how much more I like some quilts after they are washed, this one included.

Lessons to learn: I don’t like quilts with mostly background.  I don’t like assembling quilts on point.  I really don’t like narrow sashing.  I don’t enjoy pieced borders, and I always stretch setting triangles with lots of pieces.  I need to be more prudent about choosing mystery quilts; Bonnie Hunter designs amazing quilts, but I should stick with her books and free patterns and ignore the mysteries.

I used some of my favorite sparkly blue/turquoise fabrics at the request of my sister, and don’t they look lovely?  These (turquoise, dark blue, Kona plum, and yellow) colors will hopefully blend nicely with her newly finished basement.  It will either live on the couch or in the bedroom… they’re still finishing up, so she has plenty of time to decide.

The backing is a splendid William Morris print.  The colors are more muted on this backing, but it thrilled my sister and I think it’s quite charming.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

The quilt is beautiful! I'm with you on the BH quilts. I love the look of them but they are just not for me.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...