Saturday, June 4, 2022

Developments in Scraps

The first week of summer is over.  I’m not sure we’ve created the right structure for our days (always necessary with seven kids), but we’re definitely working outside, keeping the house clean, and limiting screen time more than my five year old would prefer!

Yesterday the oldest and I spent some sweaty, smelly time mucking out the barn.  The latest rain storm delivered multiple inches in a short time, causing water than normally drains around the barn to run through it. Between old chicken bedding and accumulated straw and dirt, the barn stank.  It should be better in a few days as the floor dries.

Inside, I’ve basted and begun quilting Oddments.  I love it so far.

For my blue scraps, the split star blocks have been resurrected.  I was delighted to discover I had more “parts and pieces” prepared than I expected, so I’m humming along splendidly.  My enthusiasm for these blocks has returned!  Let’s see if it survives the 72 or so blocks I need.
My glorious chaos of triangles that has served as leaders and enders for the last two years is quickly becoming a controlled rainbow.  These triangles finish at 1”, and each strip has 1024 triangles (background and color).  The final quilt will have over 6000.  Because the triangles are so petite and their color so riotous, I decided a little sashing would be good.  Fortunately, I’ve learned from my bleeding fabric sorrows of the past and chose to soak the fabric BEFORE assembling the quilt.  Three changes of water later, I’m hopeful that there won’t be any bleeding from the sashing.
My new “in between” project is going to be a variation on a bow tie block.  I’ll be using scrap 2” squares for the color part of the block and various light backgrounds for the 3.5” square.  I failed to get a picture, but I promise it will make sense when you see them!  It requires a little more planning than I would prefer, but as my 2” scraps block is full to bursting, I needed something that used plenty of them.  10 2” squares will go into each block, so I think this is a good beginning.  Realistically, there are multiple quilts hiding in this box, so I’m hoping for a decrease but certainly not an emptying of the box!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. While I often forget to post a link, I do link up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge most Saturdays!


 

7 comments:

Mari said...

Those blue stars are going to make a beautiful quilt. Yay for resurrecting them!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your split stars are going to make a wonderful quilt! I might need to try that one myself. And look at all those teeny triangles - wowie!

Vicki W said...

The split stars quilt is going to be beautiful but those little triangles! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Deb A said...

LOVE those split stars! I don't think I have seen them before but they are glorious in blue. I might have to 'steal' that.... Bummer on the barn - we are due a chicken coop clean today before Em heads to camp next week. Hope everything dries out and the summer structure smooth's itself out.

Chantal said...

I too love your split star blocks. It's wonderfully scrappy blue. Oh my! Those triangles! So cute. Sorry to hear about the red bleeding. Why is it always red? I had an unfortunate event with red fabric and I found out that the blue Dawn dish soap is the best solution. You can read about my experiment here - https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.com/2017/01/hidden-gems-seasons-finale.html
Enjoy the new project. I believe I know what kind of bowties it is. Can't wait to see the pictures. ;^)

Kate said...

Those split star blocks are really cool! You made really good use of all those small triangles. That's going to be quite a quilt!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

7 children at home and you still manage to find time to quilt. I'm impressed. Although I've never made the split star block, it is something I would have made if I had seen it 36 years ago when I first started quilting. You have executed it beautifully.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...