Monday, June 27, 2022

Finished Quilt: Triangles

 And just like that, it’s done.

When I started sewing together 1.5” triangles from my scrap bin several years ago as a leader ender project, I had no idea what the end result would be.

6144 individual triangles later, I’m mostly happy with the results.  Of course, my 1.5” triangle bag has already begun to fill up again (all the triangles from making binding end up here), so I can begin to envision the next round.  In my mind as I looked at the overflowing box of triangles, as I hadn’t done the math, I definitely expected to end with a larger quilt.  Of course I won’t… finished triangles are 1”!

The red sashing feels very appropriate to me, and gives the eye a place to rest in all the chaos.  I did cut it a bit shorter than it should have been, but didn’t realize until it was a little hard to turn back.  1.5” triangles end up with a bit of stretch in the end.  I kept the quilting to straight lines; I suspected some of the bulky seams might break my needle if I tried FMQ.  (It is square, but to get a full picture without a shadow, I’m off to one side.  My ceilings are too low to get any high for a more square angle.)
I love the backing.  It’s also leftovers… ice dyeing with old dye, at least two of which had definitely expired.  There’s quite a saturation of turquoise as that dye had clumped up.  I think it’s all quite interesting to study.
The quilt is roughly 58” x 64”. As the triangles are so small, the quilt certainly has a nice heft to it.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

The quilt is perfect, front and back! I just love it!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...