Monday, June 13, 2022

Finished Quilt: Oddments

 And, voila!  A finished quilt.

Oddments fulfilled the challenge to use green scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, as many of my green scraps and almost all of my green stash came out to play for this one.  I used any green from yellow to brown, avoiding most of my mint, teal, or blue leaning greens.

The intended recipient is a teenage boy, so I made a 72” by 84” quilt and hope that it is plenty of length.  I lost steam after so many fabric choices, so I didn’t make it 98” long as originally planned.

Of course the picture is sideways.  Oy.
The pattern is from the book In Love with Squares and Rectangles by Amy Walsh and Janine Burke.  It’s called Square Dance I loved that there were no seams to match between the three types of blocks.  I did not love that the various strips were cut in sizes from 1.25” to 2.5” in 1/4” increments.  My scraps are stored in 1.5”, 2”, and 2.5” sizes, so there was lots of trimming or cutting of odd sizes of strips which, at the end, required even more trimming.  In the end, that’s not a complaint or detraction to the quilt, just something that didn’t fit well with my scrap use.  This pattern was certainly a stretch outside my usual planning and block choices, and I’m glad I did it.  It also forced me to cut into shades that I have avoided.

The Assistant and I made the backing with a hundred or so rubber bands to make circles.  While the dye turned out much lighter than I expected, it’s great.  I love that it could stand alone as a bed covering or picnic quilt and be plenty interesting.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

I have that book and I need to make that quilt. I love it! I think it's plenty big and the backing is awesome!

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...