Saturday, June 11, 2022

Rainbow Scrap Challenge:

The summer heat is creeping in, so I’ve already done my outside chores for the morning.  Fortunately, I haven’t had much watering due to the lovely rain; I will miss it when we renter the dry season in a few weeks.  Mostly, I have weeds to pull and chickens to tend.

My 6000+ triangles are all happily joined into a flimsy, and I’ve spent the last few days dyeing a backing. It’s currently soaking.  I used old dyes, so we’ll see what colors emerge, but it will be fine regardless.  I definitely love the red sashing for the triangles!
My new leader and ender is going to be bow ties made from my 2” scraps.  So far, I’m sticking to what is in my bag of squares, but then I’ll cut into the shortest strips and make quite a mess!
My main project is these split stars.  If I remember correctly, I saw them on Jo’s Country Junction, but when I went back to find a post to credit, I didn’t have much luck.  It doesn’t help that I don’t remember how long ago I saw them.  I know it was at the old house, so maybe 2+ years ago?  I need another 48 blocks, but had to pause to create more sub units.  I’m ready for next week with parts and pieces, and so far my variety of scraps is holding up well.  I have some neutrals set aside to use as needed, but I’ll have to use stash if I end up needing more medium/dark fabric.
 I am very pleased with the stars.  I suspect I’ll keep the center diamond arrangement, but we shall see when I have more blocks to play with.  I don’t intend to finish the blocks this month; any amount finished will be a win.

Angela is busy cleaning up at her new house in the mountains, which sounds exciting and exhausting.  She hosts the Rainbow Scrap Challenge each weekend.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Ivani said...

WOW 6000+ triangles, this is amazing.
Split star are growing so lovely.
Have a great weekend.

Kathy S. said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE those split star blocks!!! It looks awesome.

I have been cutting and cutting 1.5" pieces to make HST units. When I get to the smallest of scraps I throw the little pieces on the desk behind my sewing machine. When there is a pile I run them through the Accuquilt die. I have no idea what they will become yet, but now I see what 6000 of them look like.

I love leader/ender projects! Have a great weekend. I'm off to work in the garden and tend the chickens as well.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your hst quilt top is amazing, Katie! And the split stars just sparkle! Two beautiful projects.

Jennifer said...

wow. just wow. love the split stars, too!

Vicki W said...

6000 Triangles! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Susie H said...

Your Bow Tie blocks are so pretty. The HST project is stunning and I'm looking forward to seeing that dyed backing. Yup, summer has arrived. UGH!

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...