Monday, July 11, 2022

Finished Quilt: Valentine’s

I am so pleased with the final quilt.  I used a variety of different styles and sizes of hearts.  Variety and trying new techniques are both hard for me.  I like every block to follow the same process.  I knew this one would be much more pleasant with variety - size, pattern, color.  Roughly 100 blocks later, the end result is quite lovely.  I’m also relieved the big heart shows up well.  Some of my fabrics were a little light for the center, but I think it’s fine.
The backing of this roughly 64” by 72” was made last summer in a fit of tie dyeing.  I still have lots to learn about saturating the entire piece of fabric, but I’m happy that pink, red, and purple are all distinctly represented.
Did I use up all my pink, purple, and red scraps?   Of course not.  I’m not sure I used even half of them.  At least they are no longer wadded in a project tub but neatly redistributed to their proper containers.  Even the binding is bits of 2.5” strips and the batting was pieced from four scraps from previous quilts.

I’ve washed, dried, folded, and tucked this one away for next February!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.
 

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

I think it turned out great! I love the light bits in the middle. It really accentuates the individual heart blocks nicely and you don't lose any effect of the big heart.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...