Saturday, July 30, 2022

Purple-icious? Purple-Lacking

 I ran out of purple scraps for bow ties this week, so please forgive my straying on the color wheel.

All my split star blocks are finished.  Correcting the one mistake block took even less time than I expected.  Now, it’s time for decisions. Which way do I want to arrange them?  Opinions welcome!

I currently most like this arrangement.
Option 2 is lovely, but I commonly arrange my blocks in this fashion, so perhaps it’s time for something different.
Option 3.  I was really excited about this arrangement when I found it in a google search, but in person it is distinctly lacking in appeal.  When I look at it in real life, the star pattern is much less distinct and it delivers more of a hot-mess feel.
I will be laying out the blocks in a 8x9 grid, so there were a few other possibilities I rejected because they wouldn’t end evenly.

It’s raining lightly today and the heat has finally/temporarily broken, so I hope to spend some time outside today!  Next month is orange for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I certainly need to find an orange project.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those layouts, Katie! All are beautiful!

Sue said...

It's interesting how different things look in real life & photos. Option 3 is definitely the most striking in the photos, but if it looks like a hot mess in person, then it's not the way to go. I think Option 1 is lovely. It showcases the stars & the divided nature of the blocks.

Mari said...

Any of these layouts would be great, but I vote for option 3. It looks like a supernova with stars exploding out of it. I can see that it would look better in pictures, though. Great blocks that will make a great quilt no matter how you lay it out.

Vicki W said...

I love the blocks and they work great in all 3 layouts. I like diagonally designed blocks because you can go with any of dozens of long cabin-ish layouts.

Mlada said...

I vote for 1, I agree that you do two a lot, and I can see that 3 might be messy, but I also like it. You will make an amazing choice.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...