Saturday, September 9, 2023

Week’s End

 What a week.  I caught the cold or had severe allergies that turned into a bit of bronchitis, an ear infection, and to wrap it all up, a ruptured eardrum.  Thus, most of my week was spent sitting in my sewing room doing things that required little energy.  I’m doing better, almost done with my antibiotic, and I took the dog for a (short) walk for the first time all week.

After the quilting wrapped up (quickly, in spite of everything), the binding was a fantastic thing to keep me resting my body.  It’s been washed (twice) to deal with a pesky bleeding pink and is now quite cuddly and lovely.  I need to get it up to my sister for a friend’s child who went off to college.

I used all of my purple and pink 16 patches as well as most of my turquoise ones.  A few were too green for this quilt, so I set those aside.  The 2.5” scrap box still has plenty of fabric, even after all these 16-patches!

I was happy to find this quilt laid quite flat for quilting.  Sometimes I am lazy and end up with less than perfect quilts, and I pay for it in the quilting, but the straight lines for stabilizing had very few puckers.  Yay!

The backing is scrappy.  I don’t always love scrappy backings, but I really wanted to use the piece of turquoise and purple from an ice dyeing experiment, and there was ample pink to finish the backing.  The entire quilt finished about 74”x92”.  It’s sashed and bound with some fairy frost, so it has some fun sparkle.
I am almost done with my last yellow box block from last month, so here’s my pile of turquoise ready to go.
from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out lovely! I hope you are feeling better now.

Melva said...

I just love scrappy quilts and yours is fabulous. :D Feel free to join my weekly Sew & Tell party at Melva Loves Scrap on blogspot.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful scrappy quilt! What a lovely gift for a college-bound kid. Hope you're feeling better now!

Kate said...

Beautiful scrappy finish! Glad to hear you are feeling better.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you were unwell, Katie, but you certainly used the down time to your advantage! Congrats on another fabulous 16-Patch quilt finish. Lucky recipient!!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...