Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May UFO #9

Complete!

My #9 UFO for Judy's UFO Challenge was an ABC applique project.  I had collected the fabrics before my oldest was born (angels for A, bricks and bugs for B, etc.), cut out letters for two quilts (and completed those, one for my daughter and one to sell), and then did NOTHING with the rest of the fabric.  As I have become a more accomplished quilter, I realized some of the fabric was not very good quality, and I didn't like some of the others.  What to do?

My goal for the month had originally been to race and cut the freezer paper and figure out how many sets of letters I could complete.  7.  Then I divided up any remaining fabric into a future ABC project and into my stash.

Then... I have two friends having babies.  Why not make a quilt now?  Why not try to finish it for May?  Where was my brain when I decided that?

But I finished it.  It is 41" x 49".  I backed it with the same fabric as the background.  I quilted it on my machine with the alphabet and little squiggles (I took a picture, but it was 9:30 at night and just didn't show up well).  Now to wash and dry it.  I really like the way it turned out!

Now to see what next month brings...

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

what a great quilt! i've never seen one done like that, and it's a great idea! one of these days i'd like to do an i spy quilt...

Tina Craig said...

Great job! Years and years and years ago, I also collected ABC novelty prints and cut out the backgrounds and letters for needle turn applique. What was I thinking? I think I've made it up to O or P. A few years ago I pulled it out and it was my take-along project for baseball games.

JudyCinNC said...

What a prize that one is - love the colors. Judy C in NC

Quilter Kathy said...

Great baby quilt...congrats on the finish!

BetsyE said...

Cute quilt! And a very clever use of fabric. Nice finish!

Donna~~ said...

What a fun idea--and a nice gift too! Congrats on your finish!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...