Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stash Report Week #6



Two finishes for the week! I finished some baby things for 1 3/4 yards out, and I finished my charity quilt for the year, Strip Twist from Bonnie Hunter's quiltville.com website. I used 2" strips instead of 2.5" because that's what I've been cutting for a long time. I don't think the gallon bag of 2" strips is an emptier than when I started 7 months ago, though, so I have plans for a pioneer braid (or whatever it's called) quilt for my next charity project. That was 10 3/4 yards out. The Strip Twist is approximately twin sized (but laying on a queen-sized bed), and I used Bonnie's method of cutting 10.5" squares for the backing as the only piece I had big enough didn't really work with the front. It's some fabric I really enjoy, so I don't want to waste it feeling like it didn't fit. Please excuse the messy bedside storage. I have two girls who rearrange everything, so there's no point to cleaning up!


Having finished the Strip Twist but having no home for it means I have a growing pile of finished quilts in my quilting room. This is unusual for me because I don't normally make so many baby quilts or so many quilts that don't have a home by the tim they're complete. Of course, there will be a need soon enough, I have no doubt!

IN this week: 4 yards
IN YTD: 45 1/4 yards

OUT this week: 12 1/2 yards
OUT YTD: 36 1/2 yards

YTD Total: 8 3/4 yards IN

I am making progress on conquering the glut from my birthday! DH was a love to find me so many lovely yards of fabric, and I've found a use for several, plus one gave me a great idea for a baby quilt (and I need enough of those that I am grateful for new ideas).

My green bin of fabric is definitely beginning to empty. Lori, what do you think about my lacking your favorite color? It's still more full than my purple bin, as well as pink/red/yellow/orange, which are all in one bin. DH seems to think I should go shopping, but we don't have that in the budget right now, and I'll wait until I REALLY have holes in my stash before I request a major shopping trip. I've always wanted to try Marshall Dry Goods and stock up on blenders. Maybe I should do that the week Q is due, as something to look forward to after he's born - I can pet fabric even if I can't cut into it!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Edna said...

Your charity scrap quilt looks great. The colors are wonderful!

Lori in South Dakota said...

if you're lacking in green it means you've been using it! If you are really desperate, I have a large pile of strips I cut for a pineapple quilt. Well, I got the quilt done and I STILL had green strips left. I do cut much faster than I sew!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...