Saturday, February 27, 2010

What Would You Do With This?


One of my goals this year was to use up a box of "yuckies." They're not really all ugly, but include things that I will have difficulty using, especially if DH chose them, or just are old enough that they need to be used. Please pardon the sideways picture; I don't remember what to do to turn it. (You know being pregnant drops your IQ, right? This time, I think it's dropped 30 points!)

I have either used or chosen a use for all the rest of the box, but I have these two pieces remaining. First, let's address the apple strip. It's about 4" wide by perhaps 2 yards. It's not really enough to put a border around anything substantial, but what else do I do with such a large print?

The other is the piece from Moda, a yard in length, of the British Empire. I have three repeats of the entire world. DH chose this fabric 13 months ago at a quilt shop that closed. He really likes it, but I don't have many colors like this in my stash, plus I just don't know how to cut it! Should I make him a pillowcase? I will probably still need to purchase matching fabric, but would like to know what can be done with such an odd piece!

I will be grateful for any suggestions!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I have a couple of ideas for you...

for the apple:you could make a four patch posie quilt. or a stack and whack. or a BQ.

for the map: make a panel quilt. leave the piece intact and then sew a border around it~either pieced or not. I make 4 patches go around either corner but not entirely around....email me and I will send you a link. :)

pat10170@gmail.com

Barb in Mi said...

What about making place mats out of the apple fabric?

sewkalico said...

I would use the apple strips in aprons or kitchen accessories like pot holders, place mats etc. And for the map fabric, I would make journal/book covers or fabric storage boxes... It's a great masculine print so you could save it until Q is a bit older and make him a nice bag out of it... (just a few thoughts)

Quiltsmiles said...

The world map print I would leave intact. Perhaps use it in the backing of a child's quilt. When they are down with illness, it would give them something to ponder and wonder at.
Jane

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...