Saturday, September 1, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Oddments

A long week is finally over, and I did manage some sewing in between the crazy.

I really didn't do much RSC work, other than to move and move again my Stained Glass Stars.  It's time to do the math for setting triangles and start on the sashing.  PK has found great amusement in pulling off the bottom blocks when I'm not around, so a few rows sewn together would be a good thing.

My current sticky wicket is the cornerstones for the sashing.  Do I make it the same dark purple as the background, add in squares of color, or make HST of background and colored bits?  If HST, which way should they be oriented?  I have plenty of hand dyed fabric, so limited palette is not an issue.  The finished square would only be 1", so I think a pinwheel would be too tiny and not in keeping with the scale.  Should I do something like Friendship Stars?  Would I make the center purple or colored?  Oh, the choices!  Oh, the indecision!
No sashing, but I won't leave it this way.  Too many bulky seams.

Background cornerstones?  My current favorite.

Colored cornerstones?  They feel too bulky.

Half-square triangles?  They feel lost in space.

Friendship stars with dark cornerstones?  Lots of work.

Friendship stars with colored centers?  Again, feels a little bulky.  Thanks for your patience with the blurry picture.  The battery on the camera was almost dead and I was hurrying!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Check out the glorious Rainbow Scrap Challenge each Saturday!

13 comments:

maggie fellow said...

beautiful blocks - maybe the friendship stars with the dark center?

Julie in GA said...

I love your stars! (I think I say that every time you share them.)
My vote would be for the background cornerstones--nothing to distract from those fabulous stars.

Deb A said...

Beautiful blocks... I like the background cornerstones to let those pretty blocks shine.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those stars are just gorgeous, Katie! I love seeing all the different colors together. I like the background sashing idea, too!

Jennifer said...

your quilt is beautiful! what about an hourglass block for the center cornerstones? kind of a combo of several ideas, and not too much work or bulk... (but the spinning stars sure look nice!)

Mari said...

These are so great! I would just use a plain sashing so that they float nicely and get a chance to sparkle. I also vote for putting them on point, but that's just me. Have fun working it out!

gayle said...

Such gorgeous stars!
I like the background cornerstones, letting the stars shine, but the hsts might work, too. (They're small enough not to draw attention to themselves, but add a bit of sparkle.) Maybe have them all point out? Or in towards the center?
Enjoy your dither! It's going to be stunning, no matter what you decide!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful stars! I love the plain sashing, looks very good!

Cathy said...

That is going to be a beautiful quilt. I’m more of a simple person, so I like the plain background sashing. I also don’t mind the solid cornerstones or HSTs. Beyond that, I think it gets a bit complicated and possibly distracting. Whatever you choose, however, it’s going to be stunning!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

My two cents - I agree with those above who vote for keeping it simple - blocks on point - background sashing - background cornerstones - nothing to distract from those fabulous Stars. You've already put in a ton of work on them - let them sparkle - ;))

Kate said...

I'll add my vote for the background sashing with background cornerstones, that will make those stars float on the background, they deserve the spotlight. Hope this next week is less crazy and you can get in some more stitching time.

Katie said...

While I like how the stars add a punch to the sashing, I think they take away from the amazing star blocks. So I add my vote for plain sashing and plain cornerstones! Its gorgeous, by the way!

scraphappy said...

Sashing helps so much with block construction. I'm always a fan of bright cornerstones, but all of your options look great.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...