Saturday, May 23, 2020

Getting Focused

I’m about 95% sure we’re done for the school year!  I still am waiting for an email or something to tell us officially, but we’ve turned in all our work and I don’t see any missing assignments.  Whew!

(I’m already mulling over next year.  If you’ve seen the CDC suggestions for schools, they’re doozies.  Several of my kids would not function well flopping between home and school for weeks/days at a time, so we are pondering homeschool for one or two of them for next year.  And if we need masks every day... I’ll be making more masks every week now.  My goals is 8 a week, to donate, sell, or for my family.)

I need to get back to my lists for the day.  It would help the kids understand what they/I need to get done each day, and I would feel like I actually accomplished things (I know I do... they just get undone so quickly!).  Yesterday, my list also kept me off my iPad and doing things I wanted and needed to do.  Hopefully we can stay focused for the next 12 weeks.  Our pastor so nicely reminded us at the closing school Mass over Facebook that he would see us in 12 weeks.  Yikes!

Three quilts are rapidly approaching the finishing stages: my Irish chain, this bee quilt flimsy, and my 16 patches.  I now have only 27 blocks left to hand quilt.  It’s going to be so pretty on my bed!

The bee quilt will get basted this week and maybe (maybe) quilted.  Spunky planned the layout.  It’s very cheerful, and she will love giving it to her friend when it’s done.

My 16 patches are now in nine sections.  I hope to have them to flimsy stage next week, and the backing and batting are already ready.

My Garden Party posies are slow going.  Between the masks and all my other sewing, everything gets used as a leader and ended at some time, and none of it goes very fast.  That’s another reason I’ll be glad to finish off the three quilts.  There are projects everywhere!

I think I finally have my mask pattern where I want it.  Cutting it is fiddly, but I have a single adjustable cord and no funky pockets to sew.  On I go!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  Check out the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this weekend!

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like school is so up in the air on what will be done or not done. I don't know if I had kids school age if I would even want them in school in the fall if this virus comes back hard in the fall. I hope you can get 8 masks a week done with the garden and all that you do

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job, Spunky!! The Bee quilt looks great! Sounds like you are up to your eyeballs in projects, Katie. Lists? Make them, QUICK!! :o))

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It sounds like our school may let families choose if they want to continue online or possibly return to the buildings. I'm sure that will be a tough decision for many! The bee quilt is looking fun - congratulations to Spunky for her design!

Deb A said...

Yea! For school being done! We have about a week left....and who know's what will happen in August when mine are slated to go back. Lists are a good thing - I always feel so good checking things off (ok, sometimes I put make a list as the top one, so I can cross it off right off!). Good luck with the garden and keeping everything running. Love the bee quilt, by the way.

Jenny said...

Whew, just reading about your busy life just about takes my breath away! Good luck with your sewing projects, in the midst of all the turmoil, sewing keeps us sane.

Angela said...

As a teacher, I am pondering what will happen next school year as well. We are truly in uncharted territory. Hopefully things will become more firmed up over the break. Until then, summer break will be a nice break from the worry. Nice progress on lots of projects.

Susie H said...

What a fun design wall you've got going there! Good luck trying to figure out what you is best for each child as far as school goes. It'll be a tough choice but I'm sure you'll get it right!

Jo said...

Sometimes finishing a bunch of projects brings both renewed energy and reduced stress. You are doing so well to accomplish so much on many fronts right now.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...