Saturday, May 30, 2020

Summer’s First Week

The first week for summer has been full!  The garden is fully planted, partially mulched, and meat chickens are getting fat on grass.  With all the rain, the weeds are in abundance, but never has our garden looked so well-kept at the beginning of summer.

The Assistant competed, via Zoom, at the state level for the Optimist Oratorical Contest after winning at the local club.  We had no idea she would compete against four students four years older than her!  She just graduated from 8th grade, and the other kids were finished with high school or going into their senior year.  She did not win, but given our technological disasters, she kept her cool and did great.  I am so proud of her!

I caught up on my mending.  Oh, mending, my least liked sewing chore.  I repaired/hemmed four pairs of pants for DH.  That’s done again for a while.  I also whipped out 8 masks.  I’ve already had a request for two of them, so it’s good I’m still making them.

Now, the good stuff.  I had a good week of sewing.  I have 54 Garden Party posies finished, so only 46 to go.

I am super excited to have the bee quilt basted.  Next week, I’m going to quilt and finish it.  It just wasn’t in the cards this week.

My one row of the temperature quilt for the month was a breeze.  The colors are definitely creeping up!

With much wrestling of bulk and stabbing of pins, I finally have my 16 patches into a flimsy!   I am not looking forward to the ridiculousness of quilting this beast, but I am looking forward to checking it off my list.  I even have the remaining blocks counted, a few extra cut out, and plans to make a baby/toddler quilt to use up every. last. one.

Today, after all the other sewing obligations were done, I had plenty of time to make more foxes.  Aren’t they pretty?  And Joyful so kindly sent me some orange scraps, so I get to cut out a few more before I’m done.  I think all the blocks will be made up by the end of June.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. I link up each Saturday to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  We’ll be sewing with pink next!




10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have gotten a lot done - I need to get some mulch but we will do that on Monday Lowe's shouldn't be as busy as it will be this weekend - I'm still avoiding being around a lot of people. Congratulations to your daughter that is very good to compete against those a bit older than her - the experience I'm sure will be helpful to further education challenges.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a post full of good news and great progress, Katie!! Glad to hear that your orange scrap infusion arrived safely. Congrats to The Assistant on her competition! Rolling with the technical difficulties she experienced was a true test of character. Well done.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations to your Assistant! So many things have been so challenging for kids these last few months - glad she was still able to compete. Love seeing all your projects, too. It's fun to see the temperature quilt develop, and the foxes are just great!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your temperature quilt looks good, and I love the fox blocks!

Vicki W said...

Love the Garden Party and fox blocks! Adding some that aren't orange to the pack really adds some sparkle!

Jenny said...

You are always so busy with one thing and another. Love your foxes, and so nice to get a little fabric donation to add to them.

grammajudyb said...

Congratulations to your Assistant for the win at the local level and the courage to give it her best shot at the state level! All good experience!
Love how those fox blocks are coming along. You have been much more productive than me! Just skating by!
I hope to get out to pick up some plants this week! My front beds need some color!
Have a great next week!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Yes your foxes are really pretty as are the other projects you are working on. I feel like making each one of those too! You have gotten a lot done with the garden and all these blocks. I am way behind.

Susie H said...

Amazing story about The Assistant. To compete on that level will only mean she'll hit it out of the park in the years to come. Great experience for her. Love your Garden Posies and the fox blocks are adorable!

Kate said...

Congrats to the Assistant! Those oratory competitions are fierce, the SIT did her share when she was in middle school, they were good prep for Debate later. The foxes are so much fun. And your other projects are looking great. Hopefully now that school is over things are not quite as tense and busy.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...