Saturday, October 24, 2020

Yellow Submarine

It’s finally? fortunately? Unfortunately? cold here.  We thought we’d have a freeze last night, but didn’t.  By Monday we should drop to 28 F, so any and all plants in the garden will be done at that point.  Today we added bedding to the chicken coops, put new tarps, filled waters, detached hoses... the regular cold weather stuff.

Spunky changed our new project to a more abstract piece of work, so I’m sewing odd bits together instead of panels for pumpkins.  I have plenty of odd bits to keep us busy for quite a while.

The baby quilt is in one piece and basted.  It will get some simple straight-line quilting next week, so it should be off my list before the end of October.  I took the block idea from Bonnie Hunter’s leader ender project, but since I needed only a baby quilt, this is quite enough of this block for me.


The Christmas sewing (not so secret, but none of my nieces are on social media as they’re too little) is going along nicely.  I finished the first apron.  I have two more cut, and then PK has begged for one of his own.  I’ll make him a small yellow, non-floral one.


Garden Party quilting wrapped up Sunday.  I am not impressed with my own quilting in the blocks, but doing is the way to improve, right?  I do like the border of leaves, and I’m happy with the ombré/color wash from the chain fabric.



I hope to sew more this week with the cold, and Halloween will be quietly spent at home.  I’ve got candy and pizza already stocked as our case numbers are rising, so maybe I can turn on a movie and quilt!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. I link up each Saturday to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Katie, your Garden Party quilt looks wonderful! Nice finish! It looks like the Easy Breezy blocks will make a great baby quilt, too. Did you make them in the 6 inch size? And how many dud you make? I have made about 6 of them, and then not gone back in awhile, so wondering how many should be my goal.:) Stay warm!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun you and Spunky must be having with that improv quilt! That work, finishing up Garden Party, AND getting the Easy Breezy baby quilt together, Katie? Impressive! Especially, when your throw in the Holiday sewing, too.

Deb A said...

I see you have another artist in the house in Spunky! Your baby quilt came out great and love your quilting on the big quilt. Awesome job finishing it up. I love that you are all set for Halloween. Our numbers are rising as well.... probably a mistake to send ours back to school Monday but we will see how it goes. Hope the cool weather allows for some sewing time.

Chantal said...

I love your take on Garden Party. Congratulations on the finish. As I said to Kathy S. this one is on my to-do list and it will get done, one day. ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

no freeze here yet but I imagine it will get here in a couple weeks, - neat quilt

Susie H said...

Garden Party is so pretty ... like a walk in the garden. The leaf motif for quilting is PERFECT! Such cute little aprons too!

grammajudyb said...

Kudos Katie! Lots of wonderful sewing going on at your house! Bravo,for quilting Garden Party! I’m a BH fan, but there are always lots of pieces and lots of seam allowances!
I’m with you on the Easy Breezy blocks . I did the small ones, thinking I had lots of smaller scraps! It’s going to take a boat load of those to get anything! Sigh!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...