Saturday, December 12, 2020

Slightly Obsessed

 I must say, after the current craziness of our lives settles down, I’m going to revisit this book,Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles, (I can’t get the link box to work right now) again.  It’s basic, but I really love the mindless piecing that turns into something lovely.  It works so well from my scrap box.  This week I have my second quilt, the Ice Quilt, made from it.  I did super simple stitching on either side of the main seams, then an X through each block.  I really like it, but I’m glad to give away another quilt I really like.


The Rainbow Quilt is in one piece.  It needs some dethreading and the backing fabric (red) is soaking in hot water before quilting.  Now I need to decide how to quilt it... and X through each square or stitching on each side of the seams?  I’m leaning toward Xs.


I’ve been cutting more scraps for a Strip Twist quilt (a la Bonnie Hunter) from my 2” bin.  This is working nicely as an easy leader and ender.  I still have no plan for 2021 Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts.  What will you be doing?

There’s much to do today, so I’m off again.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. This is part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (my link button doesn’t want to cooperate today...)

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

Congratulation on another great finish. Looks like you have plenty of room on the to do list now for new 2021 project. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Jennifer said...

love your quilts! i made a similar quilt from squares as your first one shown. it's on my bed- Boxed Squares, and i really like it. i'm thinking or RSC21, too, and deciding on some blocks to work on. i'm leaning towards some triangles, and maybe houses, too. (but 2 different blocks.) i haven't blogged much, but things have been busy here.

Alzbeta Volk said...

I love both, but I've gotta say, something about that rainbow quilt speaks to me. It's GORGEOUS!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely quilt finish and a cheerful RSC quilt top, too, Katie!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very nice quilts - and yes the craziness is bound to settle down sooner or later - lets hope sooner!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your ice quilt, Katie! Pretty colors and such a great design. And, of course, we are all rainbow fans in this group!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hi, Katie! I agree, that's a really good book, and your quilts are terrific!

Jenny said...

Your ice quilt is pretty, and the rainbow quilt glows with colour! Both wonderful in their own way. I'm with you, I like simple and achievable too.

Deb A said...

That is a really neat quilt from the rectangles! I'll have to remember that one. I think the X for the quilting would be lovely. Hope your day has gone well.

Cathy said...

Both of your projects are great - I really love the ice quilt. Quilting squares with X is easy and timeless. Go for it! I had trouble with links in Blogger as I was using my iPad. So I ran downstairs and finished up my last post (links and all) on my iMac. I think it’s a Blogger issue (surprise, surprise) and hopefully just temporary. I plan to talk about my RSC21 plans next week (meant to do it this week, but those Blogger issues exasperated me!)

Vicki W said...

I have that same book and have been perusing it to maybe make something from it in 2021. Love the rainbow quilt.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...